Author Topic: Talimancer Collaboration Project Discussion  (Read 5208 times)

June 13, 2010, 09:33:26 AM

Offline DanteSheaprd

• Teamkilling Fucktard of Justice
  • Pilgrim
  • Colt of Personality
I have a thought.
We Talimancers are among the most talented and inspired group in the Mass Effect Community. We have more fanfics, pics, tribute videos, page-counts than any fandom in that community combined. We have survived things other threads would crumble under and come out of it fractured, but very much alive.

KFD once wrote:

ďWe often speak of Tali and our fan enthusiasm towards her as though it were a sect; the truth may not be too far off that description. Stated in short, concise terms: We've become a movement. Each day the self-declared "Talimancers" return, many of us familiar faces and some new. Our exuberance and devotion to this place does not appear to be dimming as the days go by - quite the contrary. And it is not because of this place. No, it's because of what has been unleashed by the creation of Tali'Zorah vas Normandy as a character.

ďI trust we are all painfully aware that she is not a living, breathing entity as we have come to understand such. She has become an ideal; her spirit has awakened something that has lain dormant deep inside many of us - each of us either secretly aware that we craved something or perhaps going through our daily routines unsure how to place our fingertips on it yet instinctively aware that  something is missing. Each of us share this yearning to one degree or another and it is a shared commonality that forges these bonds between us that have been strengthened over the past few days.

ďWe are kindred spirits irrespective of our age, our experience, our country of birth or native tongue; we are alike because we have been awakened inside. We've had one of those rare opportunities that some people can search for for a lifetime to glimpse at our inner workings, compare it to the world around us and reached the conclusion that regardless of our station in life it can be even better. That we as individuals and as a collective group can be better that we are already becoming better thanks to the resonating, complimentary effect we are creating amongst ourselves.

ďIt may sound melodramatic yet I believe with an earnest heart and a clear mind that the adoration and love the character of Tali'Zorah enjoys is a testament to the recognition by many here that there is a love that can burn so brightly within the recesses of our souls that no darkness,  no matter how grave, can extinguish. We, the so-called "Talimancers" - a term that may have started out as a half jest, have become a movement because we see clearly, perhaps for the first time in a while, that there are better and greater things in our brief existence than purely material and selfish pursuits. That the values represented in Tali'Zorah vas Normandy need not only apply to her, but also can apply to us and those around us. That we can find such a love-selfless, honesty, compassionate, modest, pure, brave and strong - and that it is something worth striving for. It is for these reasons that we have each come to love Tali'Zorah in our own individual way, and it is for those reasons that she, the character of Tali'Zorah vas Normandy, has become a rallying cry, a symbol of which we will not forget.Ē

We are a movement and united we can do just about anything.

And it is in the spirit of being a movement that I bring to you both a monumental and unprecedented idea.

A collaborative project from every single Talimancer; young and old, veteran and new, to create total retelling of the entire ME2 experience in novel form.
It's never been done, not on this scale. But together, united we can create something that will go down in legend.
What say you my fellow Talimancers?
I joke constantly, I take nothing seriously and raging at me for a joke will just make me laugh.

June 13, 2010, 09:41:04 AM
Reply #1

Offline Collider

• Migrant Fleet Marine
A movement? KFD speaks eloquently (overly much so IMO), but really...hate to say it, but it's just a video game character. Pretending to be anything more than just fans of the character will look make us look bad. I of course welcome everyone's excellent fanart and fanfiction. But yea, I don't think we should be pretentious.

June 13, 2010, 09:42:59 AM
Reply #2

Offline DanteSheaprd

• Pilgrim
  • Colt of Personality
A movement? KFD speaks eloquently (overly much so IMO), but really...hate to say it, but it's just a video game character. Pretending to be anything more than just fans of the character will look make us look bad. I of course welcome everyone's excellent fanart and fanfiction. But yea, I don't think we should be pretentious.
Not going for pretentiousness I'm just trying to sell the idea. I think it'd be kickass.
I joke constantly, I take nothing seriously and raging at me for a joke will just make me laugh.

June 13, 2010, 09:45:39 AM
Reply #3

Offline Rakia_Time

• Lookin' at Miranda's Ass
  • Full Quarian
I think it's a good idea, but i see a problem - different people have different writing styles, it'd be hard to combine all of them in one

June 13, 2010, 09:47:02 AM
Reply #4

Offline DanteSheaprd

• Pilgrim
  • Colt of Personality
I think it's a good idea, but i see a problem - different people have different writing styles, it'd be hard to combine all of them in one
that's somethign we discuss here. we write rough drafts post them let other edit them until it's something everyone agrees on. it'll take a long time i know but I have faith in the talimancers.

June 13, 2010, 10:30:46 AM
Reply #5

Offline Godur

• Ship Captain
I think it's an interesting idea, I would like to help. Mind my writing is not particularly good but since there's more to a project, such as this, than just the writing I think that would be solvable?

June 13, 2010, 10:36:33 AM
Reply #6

Offline DanteSheaprd

• Pilgrim
  • Colt of Personality
I think it's an interesting idea, I would like to help. Mind my writing is not particularly good but since there's more to a project, such as this, than just the writing I think that would be solvable?
excellent writing ability is in no way a prerequisite for working on this. idea for scenes, edits, dialogue. anything you can contribute is great!

June 13, 2010, 02:52:01 PM
Reply #7

Offline GoatShep

• Pilgrim
Sounds like hell. Even if you only got halfway through ME1, it would still be an interesting story. And I enjoy a good re-telling.

A novel though? Really, commander?

June 14, 2010, 04:14:03 AM
Reply #8

Offline DanteSheaprd

• Pilgrim
  • Colt of Personality
Sounds like hell. Even if you only got halfway through ME1, it would still be an interesting story. And I enjoy a good re-telling.

A novel though? Really, commander?
Like I said, it's never been done. Plus it'd be a great collaborative project for a whole thread.

June 14, 2010, 04:31:24 AM
Reply #9

Offline Rune

• The Watching Talimancer
  • Ship Captain
Good luck.
Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown. In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood. Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

June 14, 2010, 04:36:16 AM
Reply #10

Offline phonypapercut

• Full Quarian
I've got more than enough free time. I'll contribute if this ever gets started.
And if the Wine you drink, the Lip you press,
End in the Nothing all Things end in ó Yes ó
Then fancy while Thou art, Thou art but what
Thou shalt be ó Nothing ó Thou shalt not be less.

June 14, 2010, 06:45:53 AM
Reply #11

Offline Harold_Genhi

• Quarian Genius
  • Ship Captain
  • Rave your heart out.
I've got more than enough free time. I'll contribute if this ever gets started.
I can offer my writing ability if you need it since I am 'a machine' (i think 4 people have called me that now) anyways I've written a 150k word fanfic of Tali'Zorah so it shouldn't be too hard to write another or at least part of it especially when this is just a retelling type of thing and not something from my head. I'll help in anyway i can for as long as i am able to do such that (before my life becomes epically busy again) though this project would be huge :D

June 17, 2010, 03:54:09 AM
Reply #12

Offline AAShep

• Pilgrim
Well.... it's summer vacation and I've been told by many people I'm a good writer. My fanfic has gotten good reviews, and my representation of Tali has also been praised. I'll help, if some people want to do it, too. Oh, and we'll need a beta to spell-check it and stuff.

As for the styles... it shouldn't be too difficult to deal with. Each person could do different parts of the chapter, for instance. We can also throw down unique ideas if we want, like different thematic materials or techniques for the chapter in question.

So we have Dante, Godur, phony, Harold, and myself. Anyone else? We can start posting little snippets if you want, Dante. I can write something for a trial, too.

June 17, 2010, 08:41:51 AM
Reply #13

Offline DanteSheaprd

• Pilgrim
  • Colt of Personality
Well.... it's summer vacation and I've been told by many people I'm a good writer. My fanfic has gotten good reviews, and my representation of Tali has also been praised. I'll help, if some people want to do it, too. Oh, and we'll need a beta to spell-check it and stuff.

As for the styles... it shouldn't be too difficult to deal with. Each person could do different parts of the chapter, for instance. We can also throw down unique ideas if we want, like different thematic materials or techniques for the chapter in question.

So we have Dante, Godur, phony, Harold, and myself. Anyone else? We can start posting little snippets if you want, Dante. I can write something for a trial, too.
Yes. snippets will be good. It may also be a good idea to advertise the project to other talimancers.

June 17, 2010, 03:09:08 PM
Reply #14

Offline AAShep

• Pilgrim
Alright. I'll get a snippet down in a little while. I need to workout first, though. So probably... around ten or eleven is when it will be up.

June 17, 2010, 05:52:35 PM
Reply #15

Offline AAShep

• Pilgrim
Alright, whipped this up before workout. I think it could work as an opening prologue of sorts.

/////

Heroes die.

Just as stars fade away or explode in a final tribute to the glory of the universe, heroes die. It is the final definition of the darkís victory over the light.

The dark always wins, eventually. Stars cannot hold back the tide of the void forever. The universe is not infinite.

After a hero dies, there are those who mourn his passing. His friends, his allies, those who loved him. They heavy their hearts with sadness because his star has gone out, and the universe is a much darker place.

Some give up and accept the universe as it has become. Some forget the hero.

Others, however, never forget. Others keep hope. Their love for the hero keeps it strong, and holds back the dark.

Hope is a candle in the night, and love is a star in the void.

From that light, heroes are reborn.

///////////

So? What do you think? Be advised, this style would not be used for the main narrative, just for these different sort of introspective and thoughtful parts.

June 17, 2010, 05:55:23 PM
Reply #16

Offline Rune

• Ship Captain
Sounds like something that would be in an advertisement.
Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown. In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood. Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

June 17, 2010, 05:56:22 PM
Reply #17

Offline CamoBadger

• Ship Captain
Why did I read this in TIM's voice?

Hush now quiet now, itís time to lay your sleepy head. Hush now quiet now, itís time to go to bed. Dear donít dream of him, keep your mind off of his hymn. Dear donít dream of him, or wake and see the dead.

June 17, 2010, 05:57:13 PM
Reply #18

Offline AAShep

• Pilgrim

June 17, 2010, 05:57:58 PM
Reply #19

Offline CamoBadger

• Ship Captain
Erm... is that good? lol.
It sounded really cool.

Hush now quiet now, itís time to lay your sleepy head. Hush now quiet now, itís time to go to bed. Dear donít dream of him, keep your mind off of his hymn. Dear donít dream of him, or wake and see the dead.

June 17, 2010, 05:58:03 PM
Reply #20

Offline Rune

• Ship Captain
Erm... is that good? lol.
Yeah.
I did too. Martin Sheen is invading our minds.

June 17, 2010, 06:01:24 PM
Reply #21

Offline Godur

• Ship Captain

Tim is using parts he looted from Sovereign to indoctrinate us!

June 17, 2010, 07:44:11 PM
Reply #22

Offline AAShep

• Pilgrim
If you guys want, I can write a prologue chapter tonight when I get back from Star Wars in Concert. Sound good?

June 17, 2010, 07:46:36 PM
Reply #23

Offline CamoBadger

• Ship Captain
If you guys want, I can write a prologue chapter tonight when I get back from Star Wars in Concert. Sound good?
Ya.

Also, you lucky bastard.

June 17, 2010, 07:47:36 PM
Reply #24

Offline phonypapercut

• Full Quarian
So... people are just going to start writing? No planning?
And if the Wine you drink, the Lip you press,
End in the Nothing all Things end in ó Yes ó
Then fancy while Thou art, Thou art but what
Thou shalt be ó Nothing ó Thou shalt not be less.