Author Topic: Mukora's Pet Project: Retraux RPG Edition  (Read 2937 times)

January 17, 2011, 12:53:08 AM

Offline Muk

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
  • The Qun is pretty deep. You wouldn't understand it
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Splinkdoodles
Right, so some of you might remember my plan to make an RTS set in my Rift Wars universe. That... didn't go so well. I quit not even half-way through. So, after some thinking, I've decided to try again, only this time as an RPG.

The gameplay will be open-world, but with a turn-based combat system.

Graphics will be 8-bit, hence the "Retraux" in the title.

Anyway, I'll be updating this thread as I work on this project. Hopefully I can avoid being lazy and it doesn't die again.

January 17, 2011, 01:04:51 AM
Reply #1

Offline H383

• POST! POST! POST!
  • Ship Captain
  • Nommin' mah Buscuit.
    • H383/
What kind of turn-based system are you going for with this? Is it going to be like Pokemon, with moves that negate others and the like? Or something else?

What kind of RPG choices will there be? Dialogue trees, character appearance, building, etc?
This is not a sentence.

January 17, 2011, 02:00:18 AM
Reply #2

Offline Muk

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Splinkdoodles
What kind of turn-based system are you going for with this? Is it going to be like Pokemon, with moves that negate others and the like? Or something else?

What kind of RPG choices will there be? Dialogue trees, character appearance, building, etc?
Either something like Final Fantasy or Fallout. Final Fantasy is easier, but Fallout might be more fun.

Dialogue trees will be similar to Baldur's Gate, nt sure about including companions, though, it's in eight-bit, so character appearance will likely be limited simply to hair, head shape, and skin tone. Skills will likely be along the lines of combat skills (Ranged, Melee weapons, et cetera.)

January 17, 2011, 02:07:24 AM
Reply #3

Offline H383

• POST! POST! POST!
  • Ship Captain
  • Nommin' mah Buscuit.
    • H383/
Either something like Final Fantasy or Fallout. Final Fantasy is easier, but Fallout might be more fun.

Dialogue trees will be similar to Baldur's Gate, nt sure about including companions, though, it's in eight-bit, so character appearance will likely be limited simply to hair, head shape, and skin tone. Skills will likely be along the lines of combat skills (Ranged, Melee weapons, et cetera.)
I'd say like Final Fantasy, if only because the combat in Fallout grinds my gears. :P

Are you going to go with an alignment system/morality meter or something like that for it? Okies, and will the player be able to choose gender? You mean like it is in KotoR, or more like Fallout?
This is not a sentence.

January 17, 2011, 04:45:37 AM
Reply #4

Offline Muk

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Splinkdoodles
I'd say like Final Fantasy, if only because the combat in Fallout grinds my gears. :P

Are you going to go with an alignment system/morality meter or something like that for it? Okies, and will the player be able to choose gender? You mean like it is in KotoR, or more like Fallout?
We shall see.

Maybe. The main character is a mercenary, so it would make sense. Yes, gender is optional. Eh... more like KotOR, probably.

January 23, 2011, 09:57:49 PM
Reply #5

Offline Muk

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Splinkdoodles
Made some concept art in HM3.

I've hand-drawn some, too (mostly enemies), but I can't scan.

Spoiler for Military Armour:
Spoiler for Hardened Armour:
Spoiler for Tech Armour:

January 26, 2011, 07:57:31 PM
Reply #6

Offline Muk

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Splinkdoodles
Okay, I think I've got the basics of how I want my combat system to work.

Combat

Combat is turn based, and initiated when an enemy hits you on the field, or you hit it (Will get into that more at a later date.) There are two stats that affect combat: Power and Dexterity. Power determines how strong you are with a melee weapon, and much health you have. Dexterity determines how strong you are with a ranged weapon, and how hard you are to hit. This is in addition to your various skills.

Various status effects, governed by weapon mods (Again, will get into on a later date) affect thee two stats. For example, being poisoned will lower your dexterity, making you easier to hit, and your power, lowering your health.

You have a certain amount of "action points" (Yeah, I ripped off Falllout, so sue me.) each fight, if you use them all, you have to wait for them to recharge. These can be used to do certain things, such as going through your inventory, shooting enemies, et cetera. Your class determines how many action points you have.

You can choose to attack certain body parts, with varying levels of chance-to-hit. For example, shooting an enemies arm may make it not able to shoot at you, but actually hitting the arm will be hard, because it's a small target.

On each side of the field, there are "cover blocks" which you can hide behind each turn. While you're behind cover, it costs more action points to attack, and less action points to use your inventory, but your enemy's chance-to-hit on any body part behind the cover also lowers, and your action points recharge faster. Enemies can hide behind cover, as well.

So. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:01:34 PM by Mukora »

January 26, 2011, 08:16:04 PM
Reply #7

Offline Harold_Genhi

• Quarian Genius
  • Ship Captain
  • Rave your heart out.
Sounds complicated, but if you can do this. It will be cool ;D

January 26, 2011, 08:17:44 PM
Reply #8

Offline Muk

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Splinkdoodles
Sounds complicated, but if you can do this. It will be cool ;D
Yeah, I was trying to make it strategical, but not make it impossible to figure out, and also not make it too easy to figure out.

Trying to figure out how to set it to work in-game, however...

January 27, 2011, 10:16:28 PM
Reply #9

Offline Muk

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Splinkdoodles
World

As I said, this will be a sandbox RPG. And what is a sandbox without an interesting world?
The place this game will take place in is the United Earth Coalition's Headquarters (The idea is inspired by Dr Tran's Country of Awesome). The UEC is basically a gigantic floating ship-country.

The major locales will be the Old Town, a small village with a similarly small population; the New Town, a large megatropolis with a population on scale with places like New York and London; Docks A and B, the main ports for the ship, which give off a fishing community, and smuggling town feel, respectively; and Alpha and Beta base, military bases; and, finally, the Scraplands, wich have a variety of small communities, but are largely wastelands.

Dungeons come in the form of "Rift-Portals" think Oblivion gate, but purple and... less hellish. Most major towns will have one or two near them, and the Scraplands are chock full of them.

There are no random encounters (though combat will still happen during certain missions) in the overworld, unless you're near a Rift-Portal. The Rift, however has a variety of "Pre-existing Random Encounters" Basically, the monsters in an area already exist on the screen, and can be avoided, but the actual enemies you'll fight in any given combat situation is randomly determined. Think the Mario RPGs.

EDIT: Added roads to the map.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:48:02 PM by Mukora »

January 29, 2011, 08:20:18 PM
Reply #10

Offline Muk

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Splinkdoodles
Kind of disappointed in the lack of response, but oh well.

Weapons and Armour
Weapons are divided into three sections: Your main, backup, and heavy weapon.
Your main weapon has a large clip, but it's still limited. This is the weapon you'll be using most of the time barring screw-ups.
Your backup weapon has unlimited ammo, but is much weaker than your main weapon.
Your heavy weapon is your "FUCK SHIT UP" weapon. It has an extremely small ammo pool, but it does craploads of damage.

Armour follows the generic "Light, Heavy, Medium armour" approach.

Classes
Classes govern your stats, what armour you can wear, your weapon specialization, et cetera.
In addition to three pre-set classes, you can make your own class.
Stats points pull from a maximum pool of fifteen. The action points you have to pull from are governed by your dexterity.

Marine: Pure combat class. Focuses on Shoot, shoot, shoot. Is mostly average. Can wear medium armour.

Weapon Specialization:
Main: Assault Rifle
Backup: SMG
Heavy: Minigun

Base Stats:
Dexterity: 5
Strength: 5
Speed: 5
Action Points: 50

Insurgent: Stealth class. Focuses on eliminating enemies quietly. Only wears Light Armour.

Weapon Specialization:
Main: Sniper Rifle
Backup: Pistol
Heavy: Tech Bomb

Stats:
Strength: 1
Dexterity: 10
Speed: 6
Action Points: 100

Commando: Tank class. Focuses on close-quarters (technically.) Can wear heavy armour.

Weapon Specialization:
Main: Shotgun
Backup: Dual-Knives.
Heavy: Grenade Launcher

Stats:
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 3
Speed: 2
Action Points: 30
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:47:23 PM by Mukora »