Author Topic: Recap: Sound Mind and Body  (Read 29842 times)

August 07, 2012, 07:41:39 AM
Reply #225

Offline Redtracer7

• Over 9000!
  • "Bloody savages."
    • RedTracer7
    • The Collected Fiction of Redtracer7
Keylogger v0.83

Base Parameters:
>[On]/Off
>Rootfunction/[FullFeat]
>Save Route: mC:/documents/records/unsorted/logs/extranet/lowpriority

>Displaying Keystrokes (Abbreviated)...

>Program Opened: Odyssey Build 21.1
>>Extranet Browser
>>>Running Scripts: Custom Language [Drell.common], Custom Security Suite [Collective], Ad-Blocker 10, Blackhole Guard
>Search: loa
>Search: human loa
>Search: exorcism
>Search: Ruqya
>Search: Rituale Romanum
>Search: blood rite
>>Close Window

>>Open Window
>Search: quarian
>Search: quarian -vagrant
>Search: quarian +culture
>Search: quarian +culture +names
>Search: quarian suits
>Search: quarian envirosuits
>Search: quarian hoods
>Search: quarian suit dependency
>Search: quarian insanity
>Search: quarian pilgrimage
>Search: quarian pilgrimage +good +gifts
>>Close Window

>>Open Window
>Search: rakhana
>Search: rakhana maps
>Search: hanar +"rakhana maps"
>Search: illuminated primacy drell resources
>Search: kahje database
>Program Opened: Skeleton Key Extended

Spoiler for >>Skeleton Key Readout:
root@0[hetp-1.6.37]# cat pass.txt
user:AZl.zWwxIh15Q
rootaccess: Illuminated Primacy: Its Most Gracious Benefactor's Department of Orbital Geography
root@0[hetp-1.6.37]# heliat:password.lst pass.txt
Loaded 1,334,200 password hash (Traditional DES [24/32 4K])
example         (user)
guesses: 40,000,000  time: 0:01:54:28 100%  c/s: 752

ACCESS DENIED
>Program Closed: Skeleton Key Extended
>Keyboard Malfunction: Please Check Haptic Gloves/Implants
>>Close Window

>>Open Window
>Search: asari meld
>Search: asari drell meld
>Search: "eidetic meld loop"
>>Close Window

>>Open Window
>Search: "ardat yakshi"
>Search: "ardat yakshi" +cure
>Search: "Ardat-Lili"
>Search: blind ardat yakshi
>Search: prevent asari melds
>Search: "ardat yakshi" myths legends
>Search: the vampire pyjack
>>Close Window

>>Open Window
>>Incognito Mode Activated
>Search: nerve stim
>Search: nerve stimulation suite
>Search: The Viper
>Search: "viper enhanced erogenous array" +drell +female
>Search: nerve stim download vs install
>Search: nerve stimulation suite install cost
>>Close Window

Keylogger Off
“And starward drifts the stricken world,
Lone in unalterable gloom
Dead, with a universe for tomb,
Dark, and to vaster darkness whirled."

September 02, 2012, 05:47:09 AM
Reply #226

Offline NuclearBuddha

• Conclave Representative
    • Nuclear Buddha
>>>Forum Transcript

>>Casual Conversation

>Well My Day Sucks

*previous fifty-nine replies snipped*

Quote from: Blatant_Media_Bias
You've got to be fucking kidding me.  I just got a mod warning from S_O2162@CU.

Quote from: NextDuneOver
Where?  What for?

In the Hanar Orbital Security Thread.

I'm reading it now.  You were kind of advocating killing people by hacking the traffic control network.

Not people, hanar.  And I didn't say anything directly.

Quote from: Student_of_history
You've got a record, BMB.  You complain about your day here, and you do everything short of literally planning to injure people elsewhere.  I don't think anyone believes that you're true to the spirit of not advocating violence.  And for the record, I think @CU made the right call in giving you a warning.

Quote from: GentleGiant2151
Complete disbelief:  S_O2162@CU is a moderator now?

Yes.  And yes, I know.

Quote from: GentleGiant2151
Bemused resignation:  insane.

Quote from: Mureahm0018
I don't get what the big deal is about him, anyway.

HE'S ON THE OTHER SIDE!  Are you kidding me?  Did you read his posts in the Volus Clientship thread?  He's practically a slaver!

Quote from: Student_of_history
They're well-reasoned posts.  The volus are making an enormous amount of money relying on the turians for nearly all of their military security.  Their government reinvestment rates are three times the next highest.  And that's the asari, who aren't sinking a lot of money into their military, either.

BUT THEY'RE NOT FREE!  Fuck you anyway, you're just an apologist, too.  And fuck you, S_O2162@CU, you loser.  I know you're reading this, looking for an excuse to ban me.

Quote from: VictusImperator
Oh boy, abandon thread, he's getting the persecution complex going again.

>end transcript

September 03, 2012, 09:46:02 AM
Reply #227

Offline cannedcream

• Not afraid anymore.
Recent Extranet Activity

[This Month]
[This Week]
[2 Days]
[1 Day]
[This Hour]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SEARCH: human dating customs

SEARCH: chocolates/MODIFIED/levo chocolates

SEARCH: human flowers/MODIFIED/earth flowers/MODIFIED/romantic earth flowers

SEARCH: citadel restaurants

SEARCH: movie listings

SEARCH: fleet_&_flotilla reviews

SEARCH: romantic citadel locations

SEARCH: preferred human dating gifts

SEARCH: jewelry/MODIFIED/jewelry prices/ERASED/citadel flower shops
Quote from: far ahead...
When the higher hills have turned blue
And the waves are lapping where the children grew
All that we have know will be an echo
Of days when love was true
Muted voices just beyond
The silent surface of what has gone

September 04, 2012, 01:19:20 AM
Reply #228

Offline Redtracer7

• Over 9000!
  • "Bloody savages."
    • RedTracer7

eUrl: extn.drellc.citd/rel.database/Rakhana/physical.features/extn.link.parse
Site Name: The Colonist's Almanac (routed through the Collective)
Page Name: Galactic Definitions -- Simoon

--------------------------------------------------

The Colonist's Almanac Edition 81
(Galactic Edition)

Simoon (see also: Simoom)
Noun
Subsection:
Weather
Origin: Human
Language: English

Roots:
Arabic: Samūm; poisonous, from "sam"; poison
Aramaic: Sammā; poison

Definition:

A simoon is a powerful dust or sand laden storm system that can develop in any area possessing enough aridity, loose topsoil, and sufficient wind.  While its duration depends largely on local conditions, a simoon can last for as long as several days, or a short as an hour.  They can be identified by a characteristic slow-moving cyclone shape, looking visually similar (from orbit) to a tropical storm system.  Rotation is evident, but decidedly slow, with the outside arms moving very slowly.  Excessive heat spikes are also common, with 50 degree (F) jumps within the span of minutes not uncommon.  Originating as a human term primarily associated with the Sahara desert, most current translation software associates any strong, dangerous dust or sand storm with simoon. 

The name means "poison wind", which can be attributed to the suffocating effect a simoon can have on biological life.  Species that rely on perspiration for thermoregulation can experience sudden bouts of heatstroke, as their bodies cannot dispose of excess heat quickly enough.  Asari, salarians, and humans are most vulnerable.  Sudden heatspikes within the storm, along with fast-flying sand or dust particles can also lead to a scouring effect on unprotected skin or plant matter.  Crops without natural countermeasures have been known to experience 100% failure rates.  Turians, vorcha, and elcor are better protected against simoons, although respiration and thermoregulation should remain constant concerns.  Drell need only to remember to take precautions against inhaling sand or dust particles, and to make ample use of their ocular nictitating membranes.  All species should seek cover immediately, and limit duration.

Simoons are only common in regions that remain dry and arid throughout the year.  Desert environments account for nearly all simoon occurrences throughout known space, although most dry terrain types present the possibility of occurrence, and those regions that border deserts can experience one if a sufficiently large simoon passes through.  Wind speeds can be ferocious, and simoons do share similarities with hurricanes or typhoons, but only the very largest that form over flat terrain can approach similar wind speeds.  Areas that experience significant wind erosion or that contain loose topsoils are especially at risk.  The drell homeworld of Rakhana routinely suffers from simoons, due in part to the now defunct agricultural initiatives that allowed desert farming before the population collapse.  Wind erosion has lead to extreme, and in some places persistent simoons, and perhaps provide the best models for improper farming practices and the effects of environmental degradation currently available.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:25:49 AM by Redtracer7 »

October 04, 2012, 07:31:28 PM
Reply #229

Offline NuclearBuddha

• Nuclear Buddha
>>>Citadel News Flash<<<

>>Suspects Still at Large after Brawl at Passenger Docking Terminal

Two suspects involved in an armed altercation in a passenger dock terminal are still at large, C-Sec reports after securing the scene.  One suspect, reportedly an asari, human, or quarian female in a red environmental suit was stopped by C-Sec agents before the agents were attacked by the second suspect a krogan.  No shots were fired, but weaponised omnitools were deployed and terminal systems were hacked, causing additional chaos.

Images of the female and krogan suspect were captured by terminal and docking cameras as they fled the scene, apparently having abducted two C-Sec agents.  However, C-Sec states that all personnel have been accounted for, despite their interest in locating the pair for questioning as to their role in the melee.

Only minor injuries indirectly related to the brawl were reported by bystanders.

December 01, 2012, 06:45:01 AM
Reply #230

Offline NuclearBuddha

• Nuclear Buddha
>>>Forum Transcript<<<

>>Everything T'soni!/Pretty Just Like Her/[Null Field]

[Null Field] posted:

[Null Field]

Freckles! posted:

The mods are gonna move this for being off-topic, you know.

WishIWasBlue2 posted:

How did you do that empty post thing?

Sharblu7819 posted:

Nobody reply to this thread, it's just spam.

AnotherArcheologist posted:

You just bumped it yourself, you stupid bitch.

Default01002741 posted:

This one intends to enjoy a relaxing evening at home.  It suspects its employers will be disappointed, but they were aware of the possibility that nothing would come of this one's efforts.  Perhaps, if anything untoward happened, they would also be inclined to defend this one from spurious rumors.

IsSoBlue posted:

Uh, what?

NumberOneFan posted:

I'm not certain why this thread was posted, but it definitely wasn't to discuss, say, proper technique for penciling on eyebrows.  Therefore, I'm closing it down.

>>THREAD LOCKED

December 18, 2012, 07:49:22 PM
Reply #231

Offline NuclearBuddha

• Nuclear Buddha
>>>Apex Predator

>>Foreword excerpt

"It is lonely at the top."  "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown."  "There is nowhere to go but down."  Human idiom is filled with such warnings.  The turians have a proverb, notable for how it focuses on the top from an outside perspective:  "Generals die first and last."  From the writings of Matriarch Dilinaga comes the following word of caution:  "A matron asks what to expect of becoming a matriarch.  The answer is 'loneliness.'"

In nature, being the apex predator has a host of benefits.  Shelter becomes a distant concern beyond sating hungers and obeying the imperative to pass on ones genetic material.  The world, it must seem, exists to be fed upon.  Such a creature is unaware of threats.  Nothing challenges the tiger in the jungle, the lion on the savannah, the koruvus in the deeps of ammonia seas.

Such a vaunted status is upset, of course, by evolution granting unfair advantages to lesser creatures.  The hetlet considers the salarian prey right up to the moment the salarian pulls the trigger and denies it that meal, forever.  That sentient speies become the new apex of their natural environment is almost a truism;  were they not granted an advantage by their evolution, they would not exist.  However, as with the first upset, there comes another:  moving beyond that natural environment, they discover the apexes of other environments upon the galactic stage.  A new hierarchy must be established.

February 04, 2013, 10:15:13 PM
Reply #232

Offline NuclearBuddha

• Nuclear Buddha
>>>Citadel News Flash<<<

>>No Fatalities in Transit Car Collision

Two transit cars, both public transportation vehicles, plunged into a Zakera Ward concourse today after colliding.  Emergency responders reaching the scene were unable to locate the occupants of either vehicle, though signs of injuries were present in one of the vehicles.  Only minor injuries were sustained by bystanders, owing to the height from which the crash happened providing ample time to reach cover.  A spokesman for Citadel Transit reported that one of the vehicles had been unmanned and under VI control at the time of the crash.  Eyewitness reports of other vehicles being involved and of gunfire are unsubstantiated at this time.

February 09, 2013, 08:34:25 AM
Reply #233

Offline UHDNRT

• Ship Captain
  • Men anpil, chay pa lou
    • My FF.net Profile
>>>Message Log<<<
>>>Between C.Lecuyer@extn.@#$%&#@.citd and admin@extn.drellc.citd <<<

>>>Message Thread Begins 92.4467.0700

Cairne,

If you remember, I've been doing considerable research in my free time, on a variety of subjects. Quarian culture, how one ascends through turian military culture, your own religious beliefs, and so forth. Toa's ragtag assembly have an impressively diverse background, and dislike working beside them without full knowledge of their motivations. The same applies to you, so it is your religion that has me sending this message. Specifically, I'm having trouble understanding its inner workings. The extranet seems full of wildly disparate facts about Voodoo/Vodou/Voudon/whatever the hells you wish to call it. I understand you're not a theologian, but I believe an insider's view would be beneficial.

Your religion's lack of full-time clergy seems absolutely ridiculous, to me, as an example. How can your religion function properly? How do you keep corruptive influences from slipping in without a full-time ministry to establish canon? How does communication with your Gods (call them what you may, but I know what I am reading) work? Who leads worship, adjudicates matters of penance and invocation? Who proselytizes?

My own people have perfect memories and a religious community that once numbered in the billions, and I'm still watching our beliefs slip away. The way your belief system works, it should have faded away a century ago.

~Kalil

>>>Reply 92.4467.0800

Pret Charet,

I believe your inability to understand comes from a fundamental difference in how our religions view their place in the world. Voudoun is, at its core, about supporting and encouraging the community to grow spiritually and socially. The roles of our clergy and rituals reflect this.

There are many Loa. Each will have a priest or priestess. The role of each clergy is to promote the Loa they represent in their lives and in the community. Be that with smaller, individual blessings for families and individuals, or leading Celebrations to their Loa. As our clergy try and be an embodiment of the Loa they serve, they also must have a role in the welfare of the community aside from their duties to their Loa. It binds them to the community, and binds the community to them.

We Celebrate the Loa frequently, and Appease them as necessary. In a community of us, we hold a Celebration roughly ever 15-20 days. And, whichever Loa is being Celebrated, their priest or priestess leads it. Appeasement is different. When we have wronged a Loa, or wronged the way, the individual who has meets with the priest or Houdan. The penitent then is lead through an Appeasement Ritual, to stay the Loa's wrath and return their favor. What you call penance, such as the collars, is performed BEFORE the Appeasement, when nothing binds the penitent to his punishment. If the ritual is successful, then the Loa have forgiven the penitent.

We have no need to seek converts. Those that are interested in our beliefs will find us. Those that truly believe often join our community. Thus, the faith remains vibrant. We have no need to recruit. Especially as that could fracture the community. THAT would destroy us, more than anything.

I hope this explains well enough for you, Pret Charet.

Fondest thoughts,

-Cairne

>>>Reply 92.4467.1026

Cairne,

You remain insufferable, even via text.

Immediately I note some similarities with my own religion, and as I said, I have been researching your beliefs. Mentions had arisen for much of what you say, but scholarly investigations on Voudoun are surprisingly sparse. Matching a priest or priestess to a particular Loa rings especially well with me though, considering my own vocation. This Appeasement Ritual, as you call it, also makes sense. My Gods are not old men or weak-willed phantoms, they will punish sinners without remorse. Taking precautions to appease your Loa in much the same manner seems only right. On the other hand, lacking a desire to seek converts still seems foolish, but I believe that to be a difference born of society, not strictly dogma.

Where do you personally fall in this non-hierarchy, then, if you believe that a spirit resides within you? The one with the personality of a oil stain. The extranet tells me he is a baron, this Samedi.

~Kalil

>>>Reply 92.4467.1132

Pret Charet,

I was wondering when you would ask that. There is a simple answer, of course. I am caught somewhere between a priest and a pariah. But this does not satisfy you, does it mon ami? Non, as it would only satisfy those who simply exist, and do not think for themselves.

During our Celebrations, the priest conducting the rites calls upon the Loa we are Celebrating to join us, through him or her.Sometimes, though not always, the Loa called upon will grace the Celebration with its presence through its servant. This seen as a good omen. It is also, always, brief. Usually lasting no more than an hour or so. The priest or priestess suffers no pain, and sees and remembers all that happens while the Loa is allowed its brief window into our realm.

The books I loaned you, they had chapters on the Ridden, did they not? When someone is Ridden, they are taken and controlled by the Loa. This is neither painless, nor is it pleasant. The Loa, great or small, takes over in its entirety, often to the persons detriment. It can be fought, though it is a difficult thing and most are not up to the task. Anyone so Ridden is to be found, and either saved or pressed on to the Crossroads, as the Loa are not meant to be in our Realm of sense and wonder long.

I find myself somewhere between these events. My situation is both unique, and of my own doing, so I have no regrets Pret Charet. I have discussed this with those of my people who live on the station. Sadly, even his priest has no advice for me; he has said only that I am 'doomed to have one foot always on Samedhi's Path, and one foot on the World. Part of both, yet neither is Home'.

So, that is where I am, Pret Charet. Not Ridden, but always with the touch of the Loa upon me. And oui, the priests have checked. As much of our lore is verbally passed on, there is little knowledge on what has happened to me. Dead, yet Living. Damned, yet Blessed. I have only myself to blame, and I have no regrets in this. I would do it again, without hesitation.

That is my Tale, Pret Charet. So now, I turn the question to you. How do your people view it? Not those you have converted; those that already believed. What do they have to say about your connection to your Goddess?

Thinking of you, as you think of me,

-Cairne

>>> Reply 92.4467.1206

Cairne,

I have committed your books to memory, of course. I remember the Ridden, and these other methods of "interaction" with your deities you describe adds a great deal of context. It concerns me, though, that your beliefs condone an intermingling of divine and mortal Souls, no matter how brief or consensual. To temporarily displace being Whole, even at a God's request is incredibly disturbing. Furthermore, it seems to show an inherent weakness within those you worship. Faithlessness among my own people have weakened those deities I pray to, but they are not kept from experiencing the mortal world. Indeed, it is their creation, and access to this world is intrinsic to their nature.

But I digress. It is not the weak nature of your Loa that concerns me, it is the creature I have only so briefly met that resides within you. Samedi, as you have identified. I am... distressed that you have been unable to find a cure for the affliction. That spirit is a beast, and disliked every facet of its being. I would not like to be alone with it. Meeting it with Ser Lasko, inspired a notion I fear dangerous. But it isn't something I wish to discuss via text. When we next have an opportunity, I will explain things thoroughly.

As to your own questions, I hope you've found the time to examine the material I gave you, on my beliefs? If so, as you must know, Kalahira was never a popular Goddess to devote one's life to. It depends on the particular tradition, of course, but she is often recorded as being cruel, strict, and without the warmth for her followers that some of the others, such as Arashu, often held. Much of that can be explained by Kalahira's domain over the Far Shore, a position other Gods have often schemed for and mortal heroes routinely tried to breach. There must be a dozen legends concerning foolish individuals trying to slip across the Eternal Sea, in search of departed loved ones. I do not blame my Mistress for being unrestrained, nor I expect her to comply with our mortal sense of morality, in the face of that. Hells, even if the worst tales are incorrect, Kalahira has never made an attempt to correct such assumptions.

My position is even more delicate than that. I was saved from death for a reason, Cairne. As my mistress's Prophet, the goals set before me are immense. The accounts of other Prophets are ancient, often cloaked in myth and the fog of past centuries. I cannot trust them to be accurate, and thus I walk an unlit path. Nor can I fathom failure. Its never been clear what my role will be once I leave this mortal shore again, but I do not expect the cloud-filled rapture lesser religions would wish to guarantee me. I know Kalahira too well.

I haven't gone public with my claim, yet, so I am not sure how the community in general will respond. With the faithful split between so many different deities, I'm not even sure what those who follow competing Gods will do. False prophets aren't unknown as well, and while we're long past the time where verification of a messenger's claims could endanger their mortal Body, I fear my claim being ignored far more.

And stop trying to outdo my closings,

~Kalil

>>> Reply 92.4467.1341

Pret Charet,

It is different for the Loa. They can indeed come to our world. However, it would be as if we were watching a vid. The experience is lessened. Only by riding someone, can the Loa truly experience our world in all its glory. And, to that end, the greatest of the Loa impose rules that all Loa (even themselves) follow.

As to Samedhi. I am sorry that it happened, and that he frightened you. However, it is not a measure of 'curing' an affliction. I made a bargain, Pret Charet. Mi Hermana's life, and a clean slate for her soul when next she arrives at the crossroads. In return, Samedhi is always with me, until I die again. You consider him a beast? Remember, he is no more constrained by social niceties, morals, or ethics than you goddess. Only his whim, his role, and his vices dictate his actions.

Your goddess might be cold, but that does not mean you must be. I, as an example, pay heed to Samedhi's vices to appease him, make him less likely to intrude on my life. At the same time, I do not let that control my life, even if I must occasionally fulfill his Role ate his behest. After all, if they were truly displeased with our actions, would they not claim us, and bring us to judgement?

Unless She gives you a message you must deliver to your people, why is it anyone's business if you are her prophet? Chosen you may be, but until she reveals why she chose you, then all you can do is bring your words to your people. Provided they will listen. Prophets, as I understand them (both from the literature you have given me and my own research into them), arise when there is a crisis to the faithful that needs immediate interdiction by the gods.

As that doesn't appear to be the case, would it not be better to instead focus on reaffirming the faith amongst your people? Is that not a revolution in and of itself? A worthy goal?

Beauty and Joy to you, Pret Charet,

Cairne

>>> Reply 92.4467.1359

Cairne,

I understand the relative hierarchy your Loa utilize when governing each other, and themselves, but I still find them weak. As my Gods have different portions of our mortal world subjugated to their whims, it would be appalling to suggest that they need to force, trick, or conspire to place their eternal Souls within a mortal Body.

And I am not "frightened" by the second personality you've exhibited. Hells, I'm unwilling to conclude that its truly a Loa within you, and not some insidious mental illness. Val is proof enough that failings of the mind can provoke extreme symptoms. But I do not intend to offend, and I'm willing to suspend my disbelief while speaking with you.

As to the nature of my Goddess, and how you relate with your burden, I am incapable of coming to the same conclusions you have. One needs only to look upon the enslaved state of my people, at our miniscule population, at our waning belief in the Old Ways, to see a crisis at hand. I need to become a public figure, I need to lead my people.

Similarly, belief in daily practice is far more important to my faith than you are suggesting. I don't fully understand how much your own religion demands of its adherents, but any faith induces some amount of mystification within its practitioners. The most popular religions that exist today have taken this to an extreme, leaving the grounded realities and rituals of a true faith, to deal only with the existential. Salvation via faith alone, or just doing good deeds is enough for them. I find that laughable.

Religions--Gods--thrive when reinforced throughout the community. Ritual, public shows of faith strengthen the collective conviction of everyone that observes them. They inspire an actual faith and adherence to practice, keeping the believer from claiming banalities such as "I'm spiritual, but not religious."

Translate that as: "I'm faithless, but too coward to admit it."

Beauty and Joy indeed,

Kalil

>>> Reply 92.4467.1450

Pret Charet,

I think you misunderstand the Loa, and their desire to experience our world. As beings greater than any mortal, they view and experience the world far, far differently than we do. They are Eternal - what is the sensation of the wind caressing your skin compared to being the wind itself?

They do not trick, or conspire to Ride. They must be invited. And when they do, those lucky, or unlucky, mortals get a brief glimpse of the Divine. The Loa, in turn, experience our world as we do - a novelty to them. What better way to know that the work they have done in our galaxy is well, then to experience it as we mere mortals do?

Though my memories are not completely clear, when you met Samedhi, you WERE frightened. That I do remember. Less so than your 'companion', but it was there in your eyes. And you are wise to be unsettled; Samedhi does not play by the rules.

As to your other accusation, there is no history of mental illness in my family. And according to the military, I did not diagnose as having PTSD (the greatest danger to any soldier who has seen horrors). Neither before nor after Eden Prime.

Be that as it may, there is no more proof that you have met your goddess, if I may be so bold as to point it out. It must be, pardon the pun, taken on Faith on both our parts, oui?

I have seen, in human history, what happens when a leader of the faith attempts to lead her people. Inevitably, it leads to intolerance and suffering. The role of Faith is not to lead, but to guide the people so they may choose the path best suited for them. Not to force them down a path.

As to my religion, it is only the larger rites that require any significant collaboration. Day to day, it is up to the individual to practice as they are most comfortable; we join in groups to celebrate significant rites and rituals when it is appropriate for the faithful as a whole to celebrate the Loa together. When it requires more than just the individuals faith to best celebrate the Loa and their impact on our lives.

I tend to agree on your point on religion itself. What I disagree with is your need to inflict uniformity, rigid structure, on the faithful. Because even when a group comes together to celebrate their mutual faith, faith itself is still an INDIVIDUAL matter. When the ritualism must be performed 'right', then it loses its importance. Governed by an ever increasing, exacting set of rules, then faith is placed as secondary to belief in a religion.

It becomes an additional shackle weighing a person down from true spiritual harmony. Genuine faith sets you free; belief grounds you in the banal.

May you fly free,

-Cairne

>>> Reply 92.4467.1729

Cairne:

I do not think you will succeed in convincing me that your Loa are all that strong. They appear to be entering into contracts with mortal kind at a frequency that suggests a temporal power that's hardly worthy of acts of devotion.

At least this "Riding" you describe makes more sense, even if divine possession remains incredibly disturbing. Especially considering the intentions you suggest propel these Loa. If the spirit you believe to be Samedhi fails to play by the rules, however, perhaps you should do the same.

As to my faith,

Human history does not provide lessons for the drell, Cairne. We will not debate that. I will not accept it. Period. Your people have never undergone what mine have, and unless you replicate the quarian's failure, you never will. The genocide of the drell people cannot be matched or ever fully understood by an alien. I can, however, recognize a certain sort of empathy you feel for me, but don't you dare--for a moment--think you can provide the simple answer to a problem the drell have been confronting for decades now. The dialogue on Kahje, and abroad, is drowning in the voices of the subservient. I was not saved to stay silent, especially in the face of the quasi-caesaropapism the Illuminated Primacy represents.

Nor can I find much of value, or truth for that matter, in your assertions regarding the sort of structure a religion should take. All you are doing is proposing the exact same sort of system your own beliefs adhere to, mixed in with a sickening sympathy for the easy sort of religions that bleed true faith from the people. A religion divorced from its strictures and rituals is a faith without a core, without a bedrock, upon which the laypeople can fall back upon. The drell need cultural touchstones around which to rally, and our true faith can provide just that. The Old Ways are not a shackle upon the average drell, but instead serves as the ship through which passage to the Eternal Shore is guaranteed. That political strength in the mortal plane could be achieved along the way is only a boon.

Perhaps it would be best if this communication came to an end. My questions were answered, yours were as well, and we do not seem to be capable of convincing each other of anything beyond the basic facts of our faith.

Arguing with a layperson should be above my station, anyway. Especially a human one.

~Kalil

>>> Reply 92.4467.1934

Pret Charet,

Contracts? Hardly. That would imply service being granted. Unlike your aloof deities, the Loa are, for lack of a better term, approachable. Not any more knowable, but approachable. Something more concrete than most religions can truly claim.

Samedhi, the Loa, even your deity, are all playing a Game and we are not privy to the rules. We are involved in THEIR game; but our rules don't apply to them. And while Samedhi doesn't follow our rules, I will. To do otherwise is to lose what of me is left.

Be careful how you try to justify your actions to yourself Pret Charet. There is an old human saying: Power Corrupts. What is more important to you - Power or Faith? I'm afraid you are confusing the two. That will lead you to ruin.

If you can't discuss it with me, someone who at least understands part of your story, then who can you discuss it with? Your fellow drell? According to you, they wouldn't understand at this point. So I'll offer myself for now, so you don't have to carry your burden alone.

I'll speak with you about this more when we have a chance, Pret Charet. Until then, remain true to yourself.

-Cairne

>>> addition to message previously sent

We will have much to speak about.

>>>End of Line<<<
Apre bal, tanbou lou ma chere.  Are you prepared to face yours?

March 17, 2013, 02:43:23 AM
Reply #234

Offline cannedcream

• Not afraid anymore.
>>>>>(1) New Message(s)
>>>>>>>>>>>OPEN MESSAGE
 >>>>
  >>>>
   >>>>
    >>>>
     >>>>
      >>>>

Santee,

Greetings from across the universe, sir. It’s been a while now since our impromptu departure from the Citadel without you, and I’ve got to thinking you might be getting a little homesick. If so, then no need to worry. The Joy has been running like a dream and we’ve been making our delivers and pickups without hassle.

Anyway, I hope things are well with you. I don’t know why you ordered us out of the dock as quickly as you did, but I know not to question you about these kinds of things. C-Sec pitched a shit-fit about all the regulations we broke, and there were some murmurings around the new crew, but everything has been calm since, both in and out of the ship.

Between you and me, sir, after the insanity we’ve gone through before this regularity is actually a bit boring. Call me crazy, but I think I’m actually starting to miss being shot at. Maybe I’ll make a stop in batarian space and use the B-word. You know, the one that has to do with their eyes. That ought to sate my urges. Or give my skull a nice new skylight. Either, or.

By the way, remember that software upgrade I was telling you about? I finally finished installing and putting it through its paces. I think you’re REALLY gonna love the new interfaces. Though it took nearly three times as long to finish than it should have. Filling your shoes here on the bridge is a consuming task. I think I’ve earned some newfound respect for you, sir.

You know, I have to admit that things are a bit lonely without you around. With Rakha and Val gone, Nil recovering in the hospital, Balor settled down with Ippolyte, and Curio… out being Curio, I’m a bit surrounded by strangers here. NICE strangers, to be sure, you’ve picked a good crew, but they’re just… not one of us, you know? I look at them and I don’t see the same scars of survival that I see in your face, or Balor’s, or Nilani’s. They don’t know what we do, they didn’t go through what we have.

They’re crew. Just crew. We, Santee, were brothers in arms.

Alright, I better cut this short. I’m starting to ramble and we’re a few clicks away from hitting our next relay jump. We’ll be making our next drop-off within the hour; a collection of those waist-high walls. You know, the ones that pop up from the ground? (I’m through about checking just what our cargo is). 

That turian you hired was griping about them the other day, asking just what they were for. I had to explain they were a security measure for factories and warehouses and the like. You know, so people don’t just drive forklifts and the like all over creation? Or try to steal them.

Can you believe people don’t know that?! Did YOU know that?

Well, just thought you’d rest better knowing your ship is holding firm. Drop me a reply when time allows so that I can rest better about what’s happening with you. Oh, and if you happen to run into any of our old friends while you're there on Citadel, tell them 'Hi' for me, okay?

Awaiting your rightful return to command,

-Leo.

PS: Did you really have to lock the liquor cabinet?!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 04:24:09 AM by cannedcream »
Quote from: far ahead...
When the higher hills have turned blue
And the waves are lapping where the children grew
All that we have know will be an echo
Of days when love was true
Muted voices just beyond
The silent surface of what has gone

April 09, 2013, 07:16:59 AM
Reply #235

Offline Redtracer7

• Over 9000!
  • "Bloody savages."
    • RedTracer7
Keyword activation: transcript begin.  Integrated recording array enabled.

--start when I am ready, thank you.  I am awaiting someone.  [Pause: 4 seconds]  Bitch.  [Pause: 2 seconds]  Gods, now how do I start this th-- damned thing already started...?  [Note: incoherent growl]  Alright, alright.  This is Kalil Aikerterine, priestess of Kalahira.  Year two.  Update twelve.”

[Pause: two seconds.  Note: external microphones disabled.  Lung Viscosity test rescheduled for 1600.]

“I have grown lapse lately, regarding these updates.  Only a handful since meeting with the human professor, Toa.  It is easy to assume incorrectly, despite the reminders every day, that the other species lack my people's Gods given capacity for recollection.  Perhaps my recent health... [Pause: two seconds] tribulations have rekindled my interest.  These updates, be they written or oral, anyone could use them to track our progress.  And my thoughts.  That's important.  Its much too easy for a prophet's words to be misinterpreted by latter generations.”

[Pause: 3 seconds.]

“I will append a short discussion of my health, and such, after I know more.  That is a goal I have not yet addressed today, and this update is intended to revise my earlier thoughts on those Toa has surrounded herself with.  I will start with the asari, Saelyna T'Narra.  Daughter of the asari ambassador, apparently dating the turian Nero.  [Pause: one second]  Turian.  Hmm.  [Pause: two seconds]  Well, yes, anyway.  Details, really, compared to what just happened to day.  The second person in generations, perhaps centuries, to glimpse Kalahira.  That could be her epitaph, were she intelligent enough to realize it.  I doubt she will.  Still-- I must try to make that clear to her.  She has been given a gift, and she helped me achieve what I had only dimly hoped for.  I chose correctly, using her for the meld.  Strong enough to withstand the memory, but weak-willed at just the right moment.  Then again, perhaps Her hands were already upon me, when I called to the sea.  Kalahira answered, did she not?”

[Pause: 8 seconds.  Note: Lengthy exhalation.  Rattling cough.]

“G-Gods, ahem.  Ugh.  A-hem.  Saelyna, though.  I was right, when I told her that boy she fucked in the past continues to screw her from the grave.  She has most everything needed to make something of herself: beauty, physical prowess, a rudimentary intelligence, and she huddles in the dark, afraid of taking another risk.  Foolish.  Stay too long at any oasis, no matter how well hidden, and the well will run dry.  That is an immutable truth.  Had I been asked for first impressions, I would have expected that sort of worldview from Dain.  Quarian, Toa's man.   His personality is as rigid as his armor, truly.  I have faith that he would never crack while under duress, but if the pressure was high enough... [Pause: two seconds] ...he would shatter.  Yes.  Although Toa, as always, does a damn fine job of jumbling that diagnosis a bit.  Has she tempered him?  Whatever the case, I intend to follow close behind him when we go to retrieve Val.  His suit is bullet proof, mine is not.”

[Pause: documents pulled up via omnitool.  Files provided by Val'Kari.  Translation unsuccessful.]

“Yes, Val.  Quarian, female, currently in the hands of the STG.  Those salarian bastards have her somewhere on the Citadel, if an ally of circumstance is to be trusted.  That ally is salarian too, though.  I do not trust them for anything besides a location.  We are lucky the STG did not want to risk trying to move her off station, however, or she would be lost.  As it stands, they're probably buried deep in one of the wards.  Somewhere with a clean room, obviously, and the capacity to move through a lot of gear and people without attracting notice.  Effectively, a laboratory in hiding, complete with cell for containment.” 

“I pray we can extract her, when the time comes.  Being in STG clutches for even a handful of minutes was bad enough, and I thank the Gods every day they did not know I had that mental aberration Cairne detected.  I cannot fathom what she has gone through since being seized, and the notes from the Sirta Clinic suggest involuntary confinement strains her already weak grasp on stability.  It would not surprise me if the others failed to take that into consideration.  I have not, and will come outfitted with the necessary precautions when we launch the rescue, in case Val's condition has gotten the best of her.  It is the best I can do, outside of preparing a padded room.”

[Pause: 3 seconds.]

“I'm officially terminating her position as consultant, on my health, that is assured.  Lord Amonkira couldn't hunt up a means of deciphering this jibberish.  Hopefully Cairne can make up the slack.  Human, C-Sec.  I thought the latter bit was a problem, a big one, when we first met.  Thankfully, he abuses his position routinely enough to deflect any sort of danger away.  Not that I have illegal enterprises, of course.  Law and order types, however, tend to frown on my extensive knowledge of loop holes.  He would not do that though, I see that now.  Not to me, and not when bigger grains of sand continue to slip between his fingers.  My views have not changed on his conviction that a second Soul inhabits his Body, though.  He should meld with an asari, if he desires proof.  Perhaps then he would abandon his current ridiculous conclusion.  I know not what I have spoken to, when he has lost control, but it would not surprise me if his narcissism made it worse."

[Pause: 2 seconds.]

“Ah, perfect timing.  Misoh approaches.  I will need to end--

Keyword activation: transcript end.  Integrated recording array disabled.

December 12, 2013, 06:21:08 AM
Reply #236

Offline Redtracer7

• Over 9000!
  • "Bloody savages."
    • RedTracer7
Omnitool Log: User K. Aikerterine

[10:51AM] Open image file: SO.sleeping [Date Stamp: 3:22AM, Citadel Standard]

[10:51AM] Open program: Extranet Explorer

[10:52AM] Snap programs: Image file to left, Extranet Explorer to right

[10:52AM] Extranet Explorer Search: turians

[10:54AM] Extranet Explorer Search: turians, shirtless

[10:54AM] Extranet Explorer Search: turians, male, shirtless

[11:10AM] Extranet Explorer Search: turian actors

[11:14AM] Extranet Explorer Search: turian models, male

[11:20AM] Close Program: Extranet Explorer

[11:24AM] Close Image File: SO.sleeping

//End Record

September 07, 2014, 02:36:08 AM
Reply #237

Offline Arhka

• Admiral
  • What happens when you have no more left to bleed?
    • Arhka
    • Tribalsummon
    • Unity Strategy Forum
Omni-tool message log -> CSEC Intrusion program det- : Access granted [Enabling sleeper keylog security]
--------Authenticating
------------authenticating
---------------input handshake fastjack
--------FULL ACCESS GRANTED

command->access past five days - investigative date of interest input:  - log xxxxxxx

open first message: "What's botherin' you chummer? Blues and blacks have been quiet down here in Tayseri. Business as usual."

access reply strings - outputting legend notes (O: Origin, R: Reciever, T: Third party)

R: I know, I know, just merch ain't gettin easier to find

O: Whaddya mean? Densest and most diverse population on the galaxy I figure. Lots of merch to be had

R: The huntin' getting scarse. Easy enough to find harvests but someone's beating us to it

O: How? Backalleys and the poor are easy. Just look at True Akiba.

R: It is, it is, there's bodies, don't you worry

O: Then why you worried?

R: Because it ain't outright stealin

O: How not? Your output's been less lately.

R: Cause half the bodies been ruined by the time I get there. Some psychopath's runnin' round lately, tenderized meat everywhere.

O: Now we're competing with an elcor?!

R: Nah, nah, not the same act. Nothing missing, but things being put in. Some of the meat be missin, and they're...just downright weird. Just not righ' feelin.

O: You cut meat. Can't see how that's jarring.

R: It's real weird too. Ain't any standard tech I recognize.

O: Reckon one of them super med corps is doing some black market testin'

R: Citadel's real risky place for that.

O: Ideas ain't that original. We're smart people. Bet they have some smart people. Probabilities

<<<<<ALERT ALERT ALERT - INTRU())@@!:!>>>>>@

CSEC EW OP2

R: Fuck, you're bugged!

O: Run, run, run! Get out of theauhwe;roal723903194pjirf314ge5r233168r5et31ef65wef31w3f86wegv

8555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555 5563edddddddddddddddddddddddddyhp890fq4ofipqweu cq8wurqn3p9riuncqvr[q9pn3vurwqepm[rvcwpnfmq2p4ruqnr9nwq34prcm34ruc49rn3p48rcnw4rp8wncvp4rmwu9p834cw3094ucwm94rywmpynm4c
8rp8w4ncyrwp498rmw4y39prcwp894rynwp4rc8nwpm4crw84 m3crp9w8n4ycrw9p8b4cw4cr8wynrw98ybvcw8p9asdpf98ww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwvvvawe nawenawenawenawenawenawenawenawenawenawenawenawen awenawenawenawenawenawenawenawenawenawenop8u
23progressmarchesonw[0u3u3u3jp0jpjpjpjpjpjpri['462531111111111111fd8we53r4fd8765452rfdf876r4523r ef678e6e4r521r6fwde845w
grthd9-f24jt

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------FURTHER LOGS CORRUPTED>>>>>RECOMPILING
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 06:33:38 AM by Arhka »

Stagnation is the enemy.

April 02, 2015, 02:18:33 AM
Reply #238

Offline NuclearBuddha

• Nuclear Buddha

April 22, 2015, 08:38:49 PM
Reply #239

Offline NuclearBuddha

• Nuclear Buddha

March 03, 2016, 08:23:10 AM
Reply #240

Offline RiptideX1090

• People are like unfinished paintings...
Spoiler for Nexi's Funeral Dirge:

Shor Vos had only ever been a minor settlement. An initial way station for passing traders between Asari Space and to Illium and the Terminus beyond. It had grown slowly, in the custom of asari colonization, after the finding of a small prothean data cache and spawning a small research enclave around it. It had never been a particularly large settlement, but there had been a community once. Now prefabs sit in decay, scorch marks and weathering marring the streets and busted shacks. Any secrets the protheans once held on She'ri Va are long plundered, along with the colonists that once called it home. Some minor outposts remain scattered across the planet or in orbit, but Shor Vos itself rests as a ghost town.

Amidst the arid silence, a lone figure shambles down a dirtied street, the concrete initially used to pave it having worn down to gravel under the constant erosion of the planet's shifting dunes. The creature is hooded in dark rags, face cloaked and obscured, the ship used to arrive at its current destination nowhere to be seen.

Broken shops, shattered apartment complexes, all of them roughly ignored. The lonely walk lasts for hours, until the figure finally ends its trek at a rusted out pre-fab on the edge of town.

The door had been blown off its hinges, by the wind or some other means, who could say? Inside, little remained of the original occupants. The figure stops, staring at the broken entrance way, but ultimately elects not to cross its threshold. Instead, the ragged shadow slinks around to the back of the burned out unit. There, it comes to a halt, standing over a series of crude markers that had been planted into the backyard. There are only two, each one hand inscribed, though the asari characters have withered away so as to be unintelligible.

The figure pulls a piece of scrap off the back paneling of the pre-fab unit, presumably the same place the other markers had come from, and sets to inscribing a new name on it. When completed, it is set to the side, and the lone wanderer stands back up before moving to the shed. Emerging a moment later, shovel in hand, the ragged creature makes for the end of the markers, before sliding the spade into the sand and hefting a clump of earth up from its resting spot.

It doesn't take long for a shallow pit to form, and upon its completion the figure stakes the new marker it had forged at its head, the unweathered cuts it had made making the characters marginally more legible than its counterparts.

"Nexi Elacia T'zana."

Into this pit, the lonely wraith casts an assortment of items. A broken, warped staff, rendered dysfunctional. Scarred security leather that had been shred beyond repair. An old cybernetic arm prosthetic, pockmarked with bulletholes and slagged in various places.

The last piece to fall, an old holographic projector, strung through with a piece of string into a necklace. The figure casts it down without ever turning it on. Perhaps it was broken, perhaps it had run out of power long ago, or perhaps the figure simply had no need to gaze upon the images housed within one final time.

Without ever saying a word, the figure begins shoveling the dirt back where it had come from, burying the mementos in the shallow grave, presumably to be forgotten.

With that done, the wanderer finally departs, sparing not a backwards glance, nor commenting on its solitary task. Footprints are left in its wake, but the sands soon blow those away in due time. There is left no discernible record of the small ghost's passing, save for the marker it had left behind that would go unseen by any, as its companions had before it.

After untold years of travel, adventure, love, and tragedy, Nexi T'zana had finally been laid to rest.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:15:23 AM by RiptideX1090 »
Cloaked in shadow, grit, and brown.
An exiled princess, no lands, lords, or crown.
Pulled from grace, thrown from tower high.
Through love or death, the end is nigh.

August 30, 2017, 08:57:36 AM
Reply #241

Offline phallyka

• Adolescent Quarian
a variety of other attendant writings for Mass Effect:  Sound Mind and Body.

เย็ดสาว