Author Topic: [SPOILER] Her face  (Read 47635 times)

March 06, 2012, 02:41:47 PM

Offline Zehtuka

• Pilgrim
Got to say, not bad. What are your thoughts?

Spoiler for Hiden:

Link: http://www.abload.de/img/taliface86zis.jpg

Global Moderator Comment We do not allow unmarked spoilers. Even in marked threads.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:01:42 PM by Muk »

March 06, 2012, 03:46:22 PM
Reply #1

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
What? What? Jesus, that's worse than any fan picture. That's literally just a human. Goddamn, that's just bad.
The First Human Spectre

My fanfiction. ME 1 with Shepard/Tali Romance. Currently over 300,000 words.

March 06, 2012, 06:37:56 PM
Reply #2

Offline sweffymo

• Full Quarian
  • Friendly neighborhood spider
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
I like it.  Of course, I would be saying that if she looked like an insect or something...

March 06, 2012, 08:15:57 PM
Reply #3

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst
    • clickhereforlettuce.net
Personally I like it.

It is also exactly what anyone who read the books and followed logical thinking would have come to.  And I totally called it.
He once challenged his reflection to a staring contest... On the fourth day, he won.
Please read the Forum Rules before posting.
We have an IRC!  IRC Info
And a nice webchat!  Web IRC

:legionsnipe:

March 06, 2012, 08:29:30 PM
Reply #4

Offline sweffymo

• Full Quarian
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
It's not like they could look super non-human...  With the placeholder faces used in ME1 ans ME2 and all.

March 06, 2012, 08:31:18 PM
Reply #5

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Sure, the basic facial anatomy had to be the same. But the exact same skin? Hair? Even eyebrows? Nothing at all different except the lacking irises? That's ridiculous!
The First Human Spectre

March 06, 2012, 08:33:22 PM
Reply #6

Offline sweffymo

• Full Quarian
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo

March 06, 2012, 08:37:15 PM
Reply #7

Offline Rune

• The Watching Talimancer
  • Ship Captain
Sure, the basic facial anatomy had to be the same. But the exact same skin? Hair? Even eyebrows? Nothing at all different except the lacking irises? That's ridiculous!
There are ridges are her forehead.

March 06, 2012, 09:00:40 PM
Reply #8

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
There are ridges are her forehead.
*golfclap* ::)
The First Human Spectre

March 06, 2012, 09:03:35 PM
Reply #9

Offline Rune

• Ship Captain
*golfclap* ::)
You said nothing. Sorry you don't like it but it fits everything we knew, and I am more than happy with it.

March 06, 2012, 09:13:54 PM
Reply #10

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
No it doesn't fit. The asari were supposed to be the closest looking to humans, and now we have a race that's apparently in basically nothing at all different to humans! That's the level of alieness the quarians should have had, around the level of the asari and drell...
The First Human Spectre

March 06, 2012, 09:30:37 PM
Reply #11

Offline Rune

• Ship Captain
No it doesn't fit. The asari were supposed to be the closest looking to humans, and now we have a race that's apparently in basically nothing at all different to humans! That's the level of alieness the quarians should have had, around the level of the asari and drell...
Says who? Asari don't have hair. They are blue. Unisex. Seems very different than humans.
Quarians can have different shades of skin for all we know as well. Facial ridges, VERY different bodies. They are very different than humans as well. I'm going to just go with butthurts will be butthurt and leave it at that I guess.

March 06, 2012, 09:39:04 PM
Reply #12

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
That's the point. They're blue and yet still were supposed to look the closest to humans (ingame from a human point of view - and closest to turians from a turian point of view and so on). And now the quarians suddenly look exactly like humans? No that doesn't add up, no matter what you say. Quarians should have been way more alien.
The First Human Spectre

March 06, 2012, 09:39:38 PM
Reply #13

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst

Since when were Asari supposed to be the closest?

We knew the quarians had an endoskeleton, hair, eyes, noses, teeth, a slighter build than humans, and "what passed for the quarian version of an ear" (Ascension page 235).  Much of the rest can be inferred.  The lines on neck and forehead could be a feature of the race or it could be some sort of augments/interface for the suits.  The skin is of course going to be pale in color having been in the suits for so long.
He once challenged his reflection to a staring contest... On the fourth day, he won.

March 06, 2012, 09:42:49 PM
Reply #14

Offline mikethor007

• Conclave Representative
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
The skin is of course going to be pale in color having been in the suits for so long.
Pale is an understatement. It almost looks sheet white.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

March 06, 2012, 09:45:30 PM
Reply #15

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Since when were Asari supposed to be the closest?
Since pretty much always. That's always been their shtick. And it does get commented on in ME 2.

We knew the quarians had an endoskeleton, hair, eyes, noses, teeth, a slighter build than humans, and "what passed for the quarian version of an ear" (Ascension page 235).  Much of the rest can be inferred.  The lines on neck and forehead could be a feature of the race or it could be some sort of augments/interface for the suits.  The skin is of course going to be pale in color having been in the suits for so long.
Much the same can be said about the asari and drell (and no, we didn't know about quarian hair, there's never been a mention, I've always hoped for no hair, that this remains a trait unique to humans). Yes we've seen Tali's facial structure in ME 1, kinda, beneath the mask, but stick an asari or drell behind such a mask and you'd get pretty much the same result. Their facial anatomy is much the same, and yet they don't look that human. So no, the quarians really didn't need to look that human, and that they apparently do is really silly.
The First Human Spectre

March 06, 2012, 10:20:51 PM
Reply #16

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst
Since pretty much always. That's always been their shtick. And it does get commented on in ME 2.
Much the same can be said about the asari and drell (and no, we didn't know about quarian hair, there's never been a mention, I've always hoped for no hair, that this remains a trait unique to humans). Yes we've seen Tali's facial structure in ME 1, kinda, beneath the mask, but stick an asari or drell behind such a mask and you'd get pretty much the same result. Their facial anatomy is much the same, and yet they don't look that human. So no, the quarians really didn't need to look that human, and that they apparently do is really silly.

I could swear that Ascension mentioned it but I'm on able to find the reference right now.  Additionally quarians share a majority of mammalian features of which the defining one is hair so it's hardly unexpected.  I should expect that asari have hair as well.  (Hair does not mean long flowing locks, look at your arm, or your hand)

The Tali concept art, the beneath the mask, the descriptions in Ascension.  Everything points at what we got, I don't understand why you're so upset about this, we all knew we weren't going to have mandibles or something like that...

March 06, 2012, 10:24:59 PM
Reply #17

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
But that's my point! That's why I used drell and asari as examples. It's quite a jump from "basically same facial structure as humans" to "looks more or less exactly like humans". Asari and drell, too, have the same basic facial structure as humans, but have totally different skills, different heads, and so on. I'm not saying there should be mandibles, I'm saying they could and should have made them like asari and drell, the same level of alieness.
The First Human Spectre

March 06, 2012, 10:36:30 PM
Reply #18

Offline Muk

• Uniocular American
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
  • The Qun is pretty deep. You wouldn't understand it
    • Mukora
    • Mukora09
    • Splinkdoodles
Personally, I think she does look on the same level as asari and drell.

March 06, 2012, 10:39:49 PM
Reply #19

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst
But that's my point! That's why I used drell and asari as examples. It's quite a jump from "basically same facial structure as humans" to "looks more or less exactly like humans". Asari and drell, too, have the same basic facial structure as humans, but have totally different skills, different heads, and so on. I'm not saying there should be mandibles, I'm saying they could and should have made them like asari and drell, the same level of alieness.

A quick note on the asari: Humans, turians, and salarians all say they look like them, there are features that do but what I think you are supposed to take from this is than in the eyes of the viewer asari are always similar.  I would bet on some sort of pheromones thing (or biotic fields) if I had to guess.

And lets be honest here: How are asari different from humans visually?  They have head tentacles instead of head hair.  How are drell different from humans visually?  They are reptilian.  Neither of these species have anything separating them from human except the one feature.

Quarians have always been alike to humans: Ascension does not leave a lot of room for alteration.  The character upon finding the unsuited quarian actually doesn't realize that it's a quarian at first.  Lips, eyes, eyelids, nose, teeth, cheekbones.  The quarians have live births, breastfeed their young both strong mammalian characteristics.  The only thing has been "what passed for the quarian version of an ear".  So there is the quarians "one thing": They have funny ears.  That along with the legs, hands and toes, and the alterations to body style is your different from humans and it is easily on par with the differences for the other species as well.

March 06, 2012, 10:59:50 PM
Reply #20

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
I think Ascension only mentions the ears. Oh, and quarians are apparently to speak English without translators, i.e. their vocal chords are similar to humans. That's what Ascension says. From this does not follow that quarians would look exactly like humans. Similar, sure, but so do the asari. And your other points? The asari and even the krogan also give live births - in fact the only races of which we know that's not the case are salarians and rachni. Just about every race has eyes, and most also do have "lips, eyelids, nose, teeth, cheekbones". So really, this all means nothing.

And the asari still do look more different from humans than this conception of quarians. Different ears, some ridges and no irises don't hold up againt a completely different skin colour and different head upper side.

I think actually ME avoided this "all aliens are humans with one feature changed". In ME, humans are not the average mean, or at least not so far - they have own unique features, like hair, or visible external ears (but yes, of course Ascension already spelled this out for the quarians, too). This conception of quarians completely destroys this. It reduces racebuilding in ME to basically Star Trek bullshit.

That's what annoys me - it's not what Tali looks like, it's what quarians look like. This is not about the Tali romance, but about worldbuilding.
The First Human Spectre

March 06, 2012, 11:38:09 PM
Reply #21

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst
Skin color is a smaller change than lack of irises or ridges.

March 07, 2012, 01:07:01 AM
Reply #22

Offline Foxdonut

• Jade Falcon Fag
  • Global Moderator
  • Ship Captain
  • The shit I put up with.
I'll just leave this here.
Have a thing

You don't hide beer from Fox. He's like the glowing eye of Sauron behind a twelve pack. "I see you"

March 07, 2012, 01:10:56 AM
Reply #23

Offline Rear Admiral Kikaimegami

• リジョンマンセル
  • Machine Goddess
  • Ship Captain
  • dem head-flaps :wub:
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Home of the Machine Goddess
Still can't really see her ears in that, too much shadow.

WE NEED TO SEE DEM EARS FUCK

RE Octo: You don't like Star Trek human aliens? I will destroy you.
<Kikaimegami> technically every post I make is about Legion's ass!

This world is what we can give
Scarred from the way we lived
All those dreams we shared for you
How I wish they could come true
 :legionsnipe: :kikai:

We dreamed of a world in peace
But killed for a life of ease
Now we leave the wounds for you
What else can the dying do?

=^..^= (This) Forum Rules! =^..^= Legion Steam Community =^..^= My ME2 Projects =^..^=

March 07, 2012, 01:12:36 AM
Reply #24

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst
I'll just leave this here.
Have a thing

Spoiler for Hiden: