Author Topic: [SPOILER] Her face  (Read 47657 times)

March 07, 2012, 01:28:32 AM
Reply #25

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
I see civil discourse is apparently not in high value here.

I could make some retaliatory comments on the creepiness of fringe Talimancers, but so far I've always refrained from such on this forum, even when I really would have liked to, so I'll continue to refrain from such comments. I would appreciate it, though, if we could, you know, all refrain from such idiotic comments.
The First Human Spectre

My fanfiction. ME 1 with Shepard/Tali Romance. Currently over 300,000 words.

March 07, 2012, 01:47:38 AM
Reply #26

Offline Aegrus

• Pilgrim
I can't make up my mind on Tali's look.  She's beautiful, but also not very mysterious or alien anymore.  Could have done without the hair, considering she wears an enviro-suit at almost all times.  She seems a bit too human, but I don't really care.  It's not like her appearance changed her personality, and that's the important part.  Honestly, I would have been okay with her appearance no matter what she looked like.

And I agree with Octo- civil discourse should be maintained.

Question; when was this picture taken?  It seems outdoors, and taking off her enviro-suit outdoors for a picture seems to be a bit risky.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:55:49 AM by Aegrus »
I don't care what Tali looks like.  Her true beauty is in her spirit and personality, and those can't be locked behind a mask.

March 07, 2012, 03:18:38 AM
Reply #27

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst
    • clickhereforlettuce.net
I see civil discourse is apparently not in high value here.

Touchy much?

I could make some retaliatory comments on the creepiness of fringe Talimancers

We take a very poor view of such things 'round these parts no matter what characters or opinions it is.  You want to bitch about a fan group you can take it to one of the many BSN groups.  I'm sure you can find one to complain about Tali fans.  It's not like this server is under constant attacks by such groups or anything...

but so far I've always refrained from such on this forum, even when I really would have liked to, so I'll continue to refrain from such comments. I would appreciate it, though, if we could, you know, all refrain from such idiotic comments.

You know honestly?  The amusing joke banter from before is starting to get a little applicable.  You can have any opinion you like but lets all face facts: This is exactly the Tali that we were always going to get.  Plain and simple they were never going to do any of the things everyone wanted for an "Alien" look.  It just wouldn't happen and bitching about it is really being butthurt over it.

I can't make up my mind on Tali's look.  She's beautiful, but also not very mysterious or alien anymore.  Could have done without the hair, considering she wears an enviro-suit at almost all times.  She seems a bit too human, but I don't really care.  It's not like her appearance changed her personality, and that's the important part.  Honestly, I would have been okay with her appearance no matter what she looked like.

They couldn't keep her mysterious and show us her face, and they had to show the face, and if they went more alien they would have irritated more people than this does so this is what we get.

And I agree with Octo- civil discourse should be maintained.

See above.

Question; when was this picture taken?  It seems outdoors, and taking off her enviro-suit outdoors for a picture seems to be a bit risky.

I don't believe this info is known at this time.
He once challenged his reflection to a staring contest... On the fourth day, he won.
Please read the Forum Rules before posting.
We have an IRC!  IRC Info
And a nice webchat!  Web IRC

:legionsnipe:

March 07, 2012, 03:20:41 AM
Reply #28

Offline Rear Admiral Kikaimegami

• リジョンマンセル
  • Machine Goddess
  • Ship Captain
  • dem head-flaps :wub:
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Home of the Machine Goddess
I'd imagine the picture is taken on Rannoch--just speculation.
<Kikaimegami> technically every post I make is about Legion's ass!

This world is what we can give
Scarred from the way we lived
All those dreams we shared for you
How I wish they could come true
 :legionsnipe: :kikai:

We dreamed of a world in peace
But killed for a life of ease
Now we leave the wounds for you
What else can the dying do?

=^..^= (This) Forum Rules! =^..^= Legion Steam Community =^..^= My ME2 Projects =^..^=

March 07, 2012, 03:35:45 AM
Reply #29

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Well, if you want RL facts, then yes: Bioware chickened out, threw the internal logic and aesthetics of the game (like the relative alieness of aliens, at least compared to ST, SW or B5 etc.) out of the window out of fear to displease a rabid fan group. I think we can all agree on this out-of-universe fact. So yes, all I argue is indeed kinda senseless, because it doesn't depend on in-universe-logic, but instead come down to customer preferences - and said fan group for some reason is all about fancying an alien girl, but at the same time not wanting her to be truly alien. Eating the cake and wanting to have it, too, I guess, and now Bioware enabled that. Ah well, that's the way of the free market...
The First Human Spectre

March 07, 2012, 03:49:37 AM
Reply #30

Offline Heist~

• Pilgrim
http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/photo/hammasa-royalt%C2%ADy-free-image/123488108?Languag%C2%ADe=en-US

Well, if she appears too human, it's because she literally is just a straight photoshop of - ta dah - a human. From all the reports I've been hearing of poor endings, lazy story telling, minimal effect of choices, and this photoshop rip, it's like BioWare is trying to destroy both the ME universe and Shepard's story arc.

March 07, 2012, 03:54:30 AM
Reply #31

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Goddamnit, Bioware... :pinch: I mean, at least they showed some taste in picking the picture; she looks hot, but really - a slight photoshop of a royalty free picture probably just taken from the internet? That's just incredibly lazy...
The First Human Spectre

March 07, 2012, 03:58:47 AM
Reply #32

Offline Heist~

• Pilgrim
I didn't really care if she was going to look human or alien, since the idea is that you're supposed to appreciate the character without ever having seen her face. That said, the fact it's a photoshop rip just rubs me the wrong way... no attempt at least some kind of animated interaction?

Hell, notice how Tali's nails are only coloured because the model has them done?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shit, the only time she ever takes her mask off is to appreciate Rannoch or to commit suicide, god damn it.

March 07, 2012, 04:04:54 AM
Reply #33

Offline Aegrus

• Pilgrim
I didn't really care if she was going to look human or alien, since the idea is that you're supposed to appreciate the character without ever having seen her face. That said, the fact it's a photoshop rip just rubs me the wrong way... no attempt at least some kind of animated interaction?

Hell, notice how Tali's nails are only coloured because the model has them done?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shit, the only time she ever takes her mask off is to appreciate Rannoch or to commit suicide, god damn it.

Not true- also to sleep with Shepard. 

Tali's true appeal was always in her personality.  That hasn't changed, from what I know.  That said, yeah, I think Bioware took the easy way out with this picture.  Tali looks too much like a model, if you ask me.  I always pictured her being sweeter and less sexy.

Not that I'm complaining about sexy.   :P
I don't care what Tali looks like.  Her true beauty is in her spirit and personality, and those can't be locked behind a mask.

March 07, 2012, 04:07:00 AM
Reply #34

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
I didn't really care if she was going to look human or alien, since the idea is that you're supposed to appreciate the character without ever having seen her face.
Okay, I see what you mean, but if you really think that's important, isn't that a bit... undermined by the revelation? I mean - you're supposed to like her for her character, but then it turns out how conveniently human-like and beautiful she is anyway.

And hah, I hadn't even noticed Tali has painted fingernails on the picture. How does that even work, what with her having basically constantly worn the envirosuit? More interestingly, looking at the hand - it appears very blatant now that it's just half a human hand. Not exactly well done...

Tali looks too much like a model, if you ask me.  I always pictured her being sweeter and less sexy.
I find that model quite attractive, and hence also the picture of Tali. And I have no problem with it on that front. Bioware took the easy way out in making her so human-like, because anything more alien would have upset people who obsess about a romance with... an alien... wait a minute here...  ::)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:08:43 AM by Octo »
The First Human Spectre

March 07, 2012, 04:10:54 AM
Reply #35

Offline Aegrus

• Pilgrim
I heard somewhere that Bioware didn't even think Tali would become popular, because they thought she was too alien as it was- even in the suit.  I probably should have seen her over-humanification coming.

March 07, 2012, 04:12:49 AM
Reply #36

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Yeah, but that was back in ME 1. Back then the developers even feared people wouldn't even be able to relate to her due to the envirosuit and the "chicken feet". She became immensely popular though, and so did her romance option in ME 2. So after ME 2, the developers can really not cite surprise about her popularity anymore as excuse!
The First Human Spectre

March 07, 2012, 04:13:30 AM
Reply #37

Offline Heist~

• Pilgrim
Okay, I see what you mean, but if you really think that's important, isn't that a bit... undermined by the revelation? I mean - you're supposed to like her for her character, but then it turns out how conveniently human-like and beautiful she is anyway.

And hah, I hadn't even noticed Tali has painted fingernails on the picture. How does that even work, what with her having basically constantly worn the envirosuit? More interestingly, looking at the hand - it appears very blatant now that it's just half a human hand. Not exactly well done...

I guess for myself, since personality is such a big component of why I liked her character, I wouldn't mind what she looked like if there was at least some kind of honest attempt at creating her image. In fact, part of me also wondered if it would have been better not to reveal her at all. Of course, I can't control that so I just had to accept it as is or pretend it never happened and imagine my own version of her face.

EDIT: Maybe not so freakishly big as just really awkwardly posed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:19:59 AM by Heist~ »

March 07, 2012, 04:21:53 AM
Reply #38

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Yeah. The fingers are not located quite where one would think they should be located on a three-fingered hand - after all, it is just a lazily halved human hand.

pretend it never happened
You know, what with this, the horrible endings and other stuff, one might think of this as a viable approach to ME 3 in general  :D
The First Human Spectre

March 07, 2012, 04:22:33 AM
Reply #39

Offline Aegrus

• Pilgrim
I've come to my final opinion on Tali's appearance after a couple of hours mulling it over.  I'm disappointed that Bioware likely used a photoshopped stock photo for her face.  It's not what I expected, and that's off-putting.  But looking at it from an unbiased perspective, the photoshop is mostly well done, the scene is aesthetically pleasing, Tali looks beautiful, and her atmosphere remains intact.  I'd say pretty well done, overall.  I like her look, and she actually gets more attractive the more I see the picture.

Now there's only one thing left to say.  OMG, WTF!!!??? How was she single!?  She's too hot to be single!

March 07, 2012, 04:23:47 AM
Reply #40

Offline Heist~

• Pilgrim
You know, what with this, the horrible endings and other stuff, one might think of this as a viable approach to ME 3 in general  :D

Your story among a few others could help with the whole "pretend it never happened" spiel.  :)

March 07, 2012, 05:56:48 AM
Reply #41

Offline sweffymo

• Full Quarian
  • Friendly neighborhood spider
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
This thread is great.  This is what happens when you charge into a battle of wits without being properly armed. ;)

March 07, 2012, 06:05:45 AM
Reply #42

Offline phonypapercut

• Full Quarian
Regardless of what you think about how quarians look, everything about that picture just reeks of laziness on BioWare's part. They shouldn't have done a reveal if they weren't going to put any effort in. I don't think they should have done a reveal anyway, but that's another story.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:08:30 AM by phonypapercut »
And if the Wine you drink, the Lip you press,
End in the Nothing all Things end in Yes
Then fancy while Thou art, Thou art but what
Thou shalt be Nothing Thou shalt not be less.

March 07, 2012, 06:07:40 AM
Reply #43

Offline sweffymo

• Full Quarian
  • Friendly neighborhood spider
    • sweffymo
    • sweffymo
They were flip flopping about it, which is why it looks like they couldn't decide.  They changed their minds at the last minute.

March 07, 2012, 07:27:07 AM
Reply #44

Offline Rune

• The Watching Talimancer
  • Ship Captain
said it before, will say again. I am glad they did it.

March 07, 2012, 08:22:56 AM
Reply #45

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst
Well, if you want RL facts, then yes: Bioware chickened out, threw the internal logic and aesthetics of the game (like the relative alieness of aliens, at least compared to ST, SW or B5 etc.) out of the window out of fear to displease a rabid fan group. I think we can all agree on this out-of-universe fact. So yes, all I argue is indeed kinda senseless, because it doesn't depend on in-universe-logic, but instead come down to customer preferences - and said fan group for some reason is all about fancying an alien girl, but at the same time not wanting her to be truly alien. Eating the cake and wanting to have it, too, I guess, and now Bioware enabled that. Ah well, that's the way of the free market...

Uhhhh... I'm just going to point this out... If apparently we're the rabid fan group... Maybe this isn't the ME site for you...  Ya might have noticed "Tali'Zorah Foundation" slathered across the top of the page.  I'll be the first to admit some fans take it a bit far but this is twice now in this thread alone you've slandered the fan base.  Not getting a real "Tali'Zorah fan" vibe here.  Now you don't have to be a fan to hang out, I could care less.  Just look at Rakia :P  But you know, not talking shit might be a good place to start.

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/photo/hammasa-royalt%C2%ADy-free-image/123488108?Languag%C2%ADe=en-US

Well, if she appears too human, it's because she literally is just a straight photoshop of - ta dah - a human. From all the reports I've been hearing of poor endings, lazy story telling, minimal effect of choices, and this photoshop rip, it's like BioWare is trying to destroy both the ME universe and Shepard's story arc.

I blame EA.

This thread is great.  This is what happens when you charge into a battle of wits without being properly armed. ;)

Oh you.

Regardless of what you think about how quarians look, everything about that picture just reeks of laziness on BioWare's part. They shouldn't have done a reveal if they weren't going to put any effort in. I don't think they should have done a reveal anyway, but that's another story.

It is a little lazy but really, what else were they going to do?  Completely model and render a full upper torso for one image?  Not likely.  You could say "They could do a complete photoshop job without working from a stock image" but that's asking for a low quality end result.  I'm a little disappoint that they went with a royalty free stock photo instead of either A paying for the models time and the photographer or actually taking a photo themselves but the end results are pretty damned good all things considered.
He once challenged his reflection to a staring contest... On the fourth day, he won.

March 07, 2012, 09:03:45 AM
Reply #46

Offline Zehtuka

• Pilgrim
My work here is done.

Spoiler for Hiden:

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/944/1331088051951.jpg

Read the comments:
http://derecv2.deviantart.com/gallery/#/dpqs6e

Administrator Comment Spoiler tagged the image.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:29:01 AM by Dr. Tran »

March 07, 2012, 09:47:34 AM
Reply #47

Offline Minimum

• Pilgrim
  • Full-time Zombie Escape Artist
    • minimum
    • minimum754
My work here is done.

Read the comments:

If this isn't enough proof that EA has corrupted Bioware to its core I don't know what is.  It's sad to see one of the great sci-fi universes go from immensely original to photoshopping royalty free images off the web.  This is by far the worst thing that EA has ever done, and I'm not saying that just because of one video game character.  They've ruined an entire race in what used to be a great sci-fi universe.  Even George Lucas couldn't do anything this bad, and that's saying a lot.

The whole photoshopped stock photo ordeal and terrible ending is only the cream of the crop.  Before I first started up Mass Effect 1 back in 2009 I didn't know what to expect.  All I knew at the time was that it was a new sci-fi game that seemed kind of interesting.  Not even 10 minutes into the game I was in love with it.  I knew I had stumbled across one of the all time greats in science fiction.  Here was, dare I say, a universe that rivaled Star Trek and Star Wars in innovation and creativity.

The Mass Effect universe deserved better.  It likely would have gotten the ending it deserved if Microsoft had remained as the publisher and Bioware hadn't fallen into EA's corrosive money-grubbing hands.  Like the great philosopher JC Denton once said, "What a shame."

???

March 07, 2012, 10:30:33 AM
Reply #48

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst
My work here is done.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Read the comments:

Couple of things: Yes the stock photo was used, that's been seen further up I believe.

The top comparison isn't relevant, either to this thread or to the state of the game/devs.  It may have been inspired by that image but it obviously isn't the same image.

March 07, 2012, 10:46:36 AM
Reply #49

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
I blame EA.
Reasonable and most probably justified, but you can't separate EA and Bioware anymore. Bioware just is part of EA now, it's now part of who they are.

Your story among a few others could help with the whole "pretend it never happened" spiel.  :)
True, most likely I'll just leave canon tracks entirely by the time I reach ME 3. But that's a long time in the future, writing ME 2 will take a long time. And, heh, did a description of Tali only some chapters back... yeah, I think I'll stick with that one...

This is by far the worst thing that EA has ever done, and I'm not saying that just because of one video game character.  They've ruined an entire race in what used to be a great sci-fi universe.
Yeah, that's the thing. It isn't just about Tali. It isn't even primarily about her. It's about the quarians in general, and what Bioware is thus establishing as canon for them. I don't have any problems with the picture from a romance point of view - silly as it may be that people want an alien LI but then want it to be basically human, that in itself wouldn't be much harm. My problem is, as I've said with the terrible worldbuilding this does.

Administrator Comment Removed non-thread relevant content, and responded elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:25:18 AM by Dr. Tran »
The First Human Spectre