Author Topic: What does Keelah Se`lai mean to you?  (Read 11988 times)

March 22, 2012, 02:41:34 AM

Offline Zombert vas Northwrite

• Pilgrim
At the time when I first heard Keelah Se`lai it meant love between Shepard and Tali a form of understanding and love for each others different race tali:I love you! Shepard: Keelah Sa`lai! that was just awsome
Best quote ever :[To Shepard after being romanced]
I just wanted you to know, Im running a minor fever, my joints ache, and my sinuses are packed with I-dont-know-what. But it was TOTALLY worth it.

March 22, 2012, 05:42:40 AM
Reply #1

Offline Rune

• The Watching Talimancer
  • Ship Captain
by the homeworld someday I hope to see.

March 22, 2012, 11:16:16 AM
Reply #2

Offline Garrus

• Migrant Fleet Marine
  • Cause Garrus Is Awesome Too!
    • TZFGarrus
    • Magyx
    • Vaccumdiagrams
 :stupid:

Metephorically he means

I though it first mean good luck, but hey
Garrus has left the building.

March 22, 2012, 01:11:37 PM
Reply #3

Offline Isbjorn

• Full Quarian
  • Shepard never gave up - Neither should you.
    • ElvenArcher3000
by the homeworld someday I hope to see.

^This.
I'm Commander Shepard, and Tali'Zorah is my favourite girl in the galaxy.

My FF, with the goal of bringing life back to the ME universe after the events of ME3 (on hold to see what EC brings):
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8020613/1/Mass_Effect_Resurrection

March 22, 2012, 01:28:20 PM
Reply #4

Offline Tekkaman-James

• Full Quarian
  • TEK-SETTA!!
    • tekkaman-james
    • Diegus
    • My DeviantArt Site
Before we knew the actual meaning, I always thought "Keelah Se'lai" meant something like "God protect you".  So, when they would just say "Keelah", I would assume that was just "God".

March 23, 2012, 02:49:28 AM
Reply #5

• Pilgrim
Lol well I know what its translation is but I meant what does it mean to you but im glad that at least you all took the time to respond :) thank you and
Keelah Se`lai
I just wanted you to know, Im running a minor fever, my joints ache, and my sinuses are packed with I-dont-know-what. But it was TOTALLY worth it.

March 23, 2012, 02:54:07 AM
Reply #6

• Pilgrim
Before we knew the actual meaning, I always thought "Keelah Se'lai" meant something like "God protect you".  So, when they would just say "Keelah", I would assume that was just "God".
Yes thats what its defined as in alot of the talks with the language desiners of the game well so Ive read but yes its like saying  may the lord be with you.

March 23, 2012, 02:58:17 AM
Reply #7

• Pilgrim
:stupid:

Metephorically he means

I though it first mean good luck, but hey
Lol yes thats what I meant maybe I should elaborate better next time english is not my first language its actually Russian but I do my best lol.
Keelah Se`lai

March 23, 2012, 04:19:07 AM
Reply #8

Offline Rune

• The Watching Talimancer
  • Ship Captain
originally I thought it literally meant 'go with god'

March 23, 2012, 01:44:27 PM
Reply #9

Offline Tairis Deamhan

• Tactical Sexual Advice
  • Migrant Fleet Marine
I would assume 'Keelah' by itself means 'By the homeworld', making it a reasonable exclamation when taken in context of the official translation.
New Webiste! Wulver's Den
Razor's Edge, A Mass Effect 2 Novelization
Razor's Edge: Dark Witness
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein.

March 23, 2012, 01:46:00 PM
Reply #10

Offline Isbjorn

• Full Quarian
    • ElvenArcher3000
I think explaining an alien language is a futile task when we know so little about it.

My FF, with the goal of bringing life back to the ME universe after the events of ME3 (on hold to see what EC brings):

March 23, 2012, 02:58:20 PM
Reply #11

Offline Garrus

• Migrant Fleet Marine
    • TZFGarrus
    • Magyx
    • Vaccumdiagrams
Added that most her are English-speaking, and so for our russian friends it's a totally different translation

March 23, 2012, 04:12:18 PM
Reply #12

Offline Isbjorn

• Full Quarian
    • ElvenArcher3000
Added that most her are English-speaking, and so for our russian friends it's a totally different translation

Knowing both of them, as well as Norwegian, gives you perspective on how different languages can be. I cannot even begin to imagine how different an alien language would be. Our linguistic categories of sentence construction, grammatical conjugations, tenses, aspects and cases don't even have to apply to their languages. It could be something entirely different. Considering how much meaning Tali manages to get out of "Keelah Se'lai", I'm guessing they their language don't match with ours at all. I don't even know how to piece the phrase apart to get meaning out of any particular piece.

March 24, 2012, 04:24:09 AM
Reply #13

• Pilgrim
Yes well that is true the english translation you gave me was a bit off from the Russian translation but in all honesty I have a hard time understanding it in my owen language lol my home land is complicated I guess I cant even begin to tell you how hard it was for me to learn the english alphabet lol :)
Keelah Se`lai

March 26, 2012, 01:23:34 PM
Reply #14

Offline Garrus

• Migrant Fleet Marine
    • TZFGarrus
    • Magyx
    • Vaccumdiagrams
TIPS:

Learn Latin and old Arabic, it helps with most others

March 26, 2012, 09:19:24 PM
Reply #15

Offline Isbjorn

• Full Quarian
    • ElvenArcher3000
Urk, Latin. Too much bad blood between me and Latin.

My old Norwegian teacher was a total fanatic for this language. Not too rarely she would go raving about how much better that language was than anything else. Wonderul, you think that a language that no one knows who to speak, is the best language in the world. Good for you.

March 27, 2012, 02:58:15 AM
Reply #16

• Pilgrim
TIPS:

Learn Latin and old Arabic, it helps with most others
Well I will look into that sometime thank you for the advice although I might just practice my english first lol.
Keelah Se`lai

March 27, 2012, 03:04:11 AM
Reply #17

• Pilgrim
Urk, Latin. Too much bad blood between me and Latin.

My old Norwegian teacher was a total fanatic for this language. Not too rarely she would go raving about how much better that language was than anything else. Wonderul, you think that a language that no one knows who to speak, is the best language in the world. Good for you.
Ah yes the dead language or as my instructor would put it the master language dont get me wrong its a captivateing language to learn Im sure but....... it might be a little over rated lol Arabic on the other hand might prove to be a bit more exciteing I hope.
Keelah Se`lai

March 27, 2012, 04:11:17 AM
Reply #18

Offline Garrus

• Migrant Fleet Marine
    • TZFGarrus
    • Magyx
    • Vaccumdiagrams
Arabic is difficult, but it helps with ll other middle eastern languages and more so yah, LEARN THINGS  :mordin:

April 01, 2012, 02:47:45 AM
Reply #19

• Pilgrim
Arabic is difficult, but it helps with ll other middle eastern languages and more so yah, LEARN THINGS  :mordin:
I JUST TRIED IT AND I TOUGHT MY LANGUAGE WAS HARD AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

April 07, 2012, 11:31:07 PM
Reply #20

Offline Sten_MkIIs

• Full Quarian
Keelah'selai? It's sound more like blessing by the name of ancestors  than just memory of Rannoch.  Tali sayd her translation close but not exactly accurate. Переводя на русский получится что-то вроде "да хранят нас предки".

April 08, 2012, 07:52:22 AM
Reply #21

Offline CroGamer002

• Full Quarian
    • mesina2
    • mesina2
    • crogamer002
I used to think Keelah is some quarian god, while Se'lai means "be with you".

Wasn't disappointed what is really meant.

April 15, 2012, 03:06:02 AM
Reply #22

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Well, "god" would be a bit blunt... since the quarians seems to have some sort of ancestor worship going on, I always thought it meant that, the ancestors... but "homeworld" works too, heh.
The First Human Spectre

My fanfiction. ME 1 with Shepard/Tali Romance. Currently over 300,000 words.

April 15, 2012, 07:31:18 PM
Reply #23

Offline Pozaxx

• Adolescent Quarian
  • For The Dark Energy plot of Mass Effect Trilogy
    • JemaxiS
Personally I thought that this means "God be with us all" or "God bless us all". But the thing that quarians maybe worshiped other quarians who had a chance of living on Rannoch - their ancestors - have made me believe that word "God" should have been changed into word "Ancestors".  But now the real meaning appeared and im not against this one, just in quarian there are only three words, and in english - 8 or smth like that...  ::)

April 16, 2012, 02:05:56 AM
Reply #24

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
The two words are most likely hope and homeworld. The rest can be done by grammar (by...) or word connotation (homeworld "that we would like to see").
The First Human Spectre

My fanfiction. ME 1 with Shepard/Tali Romance. Currently over 300,000 words.