Author Topic: What does Keelah Se`lai mean to you?  (Read 11972 times)

April 16, 2012, 02:33:02 AM
Reply #25

Offline Heist~

• Pilgrim
It would likely be the result of grammatical case. In latin, the simple noun for "box" could change to "from the box", "to the box", "of the box", etc. based on the case used. Genitive for possession, dative for direct reference, ablative for action upon object, etc. The voice also affects the ancillary words included along with declension (nominates number of objects), and so forth.

For example:

Urbe captā, Aenēas fugit

becomes

With the city having been captured, Aeneas fled.

Of course, this is all moot if BioWare decided to add random words in there to make it sound good thus rendering this as merely an exercise in academia.

April 16, 2012, 02:41:57 AM
Reply #26

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Latin rhetorics even aimed for grammatical brevity, so this in mind, the shortest your examples sentence could be translated is: "The city captured, Aeneas fled". So it's not that bad. But yes, I meant it like Latin. That would explain the by. I assume "Keelah" is the homeworld, because it makes more sense to curse with your sacred object than shouting hope, heh, and well, maybe "Keelah" is a connotation-laden term for the homeworld, expressing the wish to return to it etc. Maybe besides it there is also a very mundane term for 'homeworld' which however obviously wouldn't be used in such circumstances. However, this means Keelah fully translated would indeed become "the homeworld I'd like to see some day".
The First Human Spectre

My fanfiction. ME 1 with Shepard/Tali Romance. Currently over 300,000 words.

April 19, 2012, 02:51:05 AM
Reply #27

Offline UserThree

• Pilgrim
*sigh* le youtubes. I really ought to learn NOT to browse until I've finished the game, so I can't come across spoilers.  :talidoh: But I did come across this one, and at first it confused me. What the heck kind of reply is "Keelah Se'lai" to "I love you?" Then I thought about it some, about the significance of Rannoch to the Quarians.

The way the Quarians use Keelah Se'lai, first off. As a battle cry, a heartfelt farewell, an equivalent to "godspeed." Though colonization would've been tough, it would've been easier than roaming space for centuries...that's how much Rannoch means to them. They'd rather wander endlessly than settle anywhere else and even give a thought or outward gesture that might suggest they'd give up retaking Rannoch. (political differences within the fleet at the time of ME aside, because the number of Quarians wanting to keep wandering is, even if not a majority, large enough for the purposes of this idea) Rannoch is everything to them.

And that's what I think Shepard means. Like the OP said, a statement of inter-species understanding, but also more. That she's like his Rannoch, that she means as much to him as Rannoch does to the Quarian people, and - as an aside - maybe even a hint of "home is where you are."

That's my favorite idea, anyway. It could also be simpler, like "By the homeworld I hope to see one day-oh wait, we're here." So it'd be an affirmative statement.

Oooor Shepard could mean it from his point of view, given Earth's predicament, but that's a fragile argument. I still like the first idea best.

EDIT: Oooor none of the above. I really ought to not post about stuff I don't know the context of. I could've sworn Tali and Shepard were standing on a cliff together when these words were exchanged, then I finally get to the part, and that isn't the case. My theories go poof, and I am left a little confused. Cuz y'know. The context being
Spoiler for Hiden:
Shepard going after a reaper with a laser targeting device and unlikely to survive
is a little different than what I *thought* I'd seen a clip of.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:31:04 AM by UserThree »
"I don't need luck; I've got ammo." -Grunt

May 10, 2012, 02:50:41 PM
Reply #28

Offline Yehansli

• One Post Wonder
The meaning is welcome back to home. When she say this to Shep, she
Means Shep is the family she only have and belong to now.