Author Topic: Tali's name  (Read 5672 times)

March 31, 2012, 01:04:04 AM

Offline Alastor_09

• Pilgrim
  • Tali! <3
    • henRy09
Found it interesting, when I first read about the meaning of her name.

Of course, there are several meanings, but the one that stuck with me was the hebrew definition: "My Lamb"

Then we have Commander Shepard. His last name, although spelled differently, was mentioned at the end as The Shepard.

Were Tali and Shepard supposed to be together (even though most of us made it happen)?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:22:49 AM by Alastor_09 »
I'm working on that... In the meantime BOSH'TET!

March 31, 2012, 04:09:39 PM
Reply #1

Offline Garrus

• Migrant Fleet Marine
  • Cause Garrus Is Awesome Too!
    • TZFGarrus
    • Magyx
    • Vaccumdiagrams
Black helicopters, google it

(also   :blink:)
Garrus has left the building.

April 01, 2012, 12:58:33 AM
Reply #2

Offline Alastor_09

• Pilgrim
  • Tali! <3
    • henRy09
Hebrew definition: Dew: My lamb.

Talia: Dew from God.

As I said many definitions, but lamb was what stuck out because of "The Shepard". 

Black helicopters? Dafuq?

April 01, 2012, 02:50:05 AM
Reply #3

Offline GamerElemental

• Full Quarian
    • GamerElemental
    • RoadWarrior619
    • OpticalGrafix
    • YouTube.com/OpticalGrafix
I know that it sounds a bit obsessive but if I ever have kids I'm going to name my girl Tali. The main reason being I really just like the name in all honesty and two I just fucking love Tali.
ME3 endings are fake. They were Hallucinations. Real endings coming soon.

April 01, 2012, 03:14:58 AM
Reply #4

Offline Alastor_09

• Pilgrim
  • Tali! <3
    • henRy09
I know that it sounds a bit obsessive but if I ever have kids I'm going to name my girl Tali. The main reason being I really just like the name in all honesty and two I just fucking love Tali.

Told my girl to change her name to Tali.
Been 3 days since I've heard from her. I regret nothing.

April 01, 2012, 03:27:09 AM
Reply #5

Offline Aegrus

• Pilgrim
So, "The Shepard". . . and Tali means lamb?  Way to go Bioware, bucking the trend of making the main LI an oversexualized human character.  For once, the leading female is an intelligent, modest (but still hot  :wub: ) alien.  I'm proud of you.  Now just release real ending dlc, and I'll even consider buying Dragon Age III.   
I don't care what Tali looks like.  Her true beauty is in her spirit and personality, and those can't be locked behind a mask.

April 01, 2012, 03:50:05 AM
Reply #6

Offline Alastor_09

• Pilgrim
  • Tali! <3
    • henRy09
Dragon Age 3 better be about my grey warden!

Administrator Comment Please stick to topic.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:02:14 AM by Dr. Tran »

April 01, 2012, 09:28:16 AM
Reply #7

Offline Garrus

• Migrant Fleet Marine
    • TZFGarrus
    • Magyx
    • Vaccumdiagrams
Hew now, this is the ME-obsessed fan base, all you DA peoples can post elsewhere

April 01, 2012, 10:16:58 AM
Reply #8

Offline Alastor_09

• Pilgrim
  • Tali! <3
    • henRy09
You are correct. Almighty, Admin, 1000 apologies .

Now, Garrus... Black Helicopter? Where did you get that meaning?

April 01, 2012, 10:29:24 AM
Reply #9

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
the trend of making the main LI an oversexualized human character
...eh, what?

Seeing that Tali wasn't planned as a LI originally, and since not everybody knows Hebrew, I think this all is coincidence. Which is good, because Shepard/Tali=Shepherd/Lamb is also a bit... creepy, if you look at it from a certain angle.
The First Human Spectre

My fanfiction. ME 1 with Shepard/Tali Romance. Currently over 300,000 words.

April 01, 2012, 10:56:40 AM
Reply #10

Offline Alastor_09

• Pilgrim
  • Tali! <3
    • henRy09
...eh, what?

Seeing that Tali wasn't planned as a LI originally, and since not everybody knows Hebrew, I think this all is coincidence. Which is good, because Shepard/Tali=Shepherd/Lamb is also a bit... creepy, if you look at it from a certain angle.

Getting the ball rolling! So, you believe it is coincidence? Now, we can't say that BW wanted Shep to focus on human Li, because Liara was included, but I believe they also wanted you to feel for Tali, being the poor Quarian that she is, they wanted you to feel as if you needed to be there for her. On the other hand, some people just didn't give a damn. If it's a coincidence, which most likely it is, it's a  weird one. Then again there are so many religious tones in that series that it might have been planned.

Also, what angle doth thou speak?

April 01, 2012, 11:31:33 AM
Reply #11

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
It has nothing to do with human or non-human LIs. Tali wasn't a LI, period, in ME 1, if you recall, and there had been no plans for her to be, either. The devs were very surprised by her unexpected popularity among the fans, and she was only made a LI in ME 2 as a way to please the fans. Now, granted, the name symbolism could still be there without Tali having been planned as a LI, but as it was, in fact, Tali was just a walking codex entry on quarians in ME 1 (if a rather adorable one :P ), so, yeah, I just don't think Tali as she was in ME 1, when she (and her name...) were introduced would get so much effort on subtle clues.

As for creepy - hm. Well, in combination with the romance (so symbolism planned in ME 1 but romance not would actually make it non-creepy). So Shepard 'shepherds' the lamb to the relationship? That feels kinda wrong. Kinda like bride grooming.
The First Human Spectre

April 01, 2012, 07:45:16 PM
Reply #12

Offline Alastor_09

• Pilgrim
  • Tali! <3
    • henRy09
It has nothing to do with human or non-human LIs. Tali wasn't a LI, period, in ME 1, if you recall, and there had been no plans for her to be, either. The devs were very surprised by her unexpected popularity among the fans, and she was only made a LI in ME 2 as a way to please the fans. Now, granted, the name symbolism could still be there without Tali having been planned as a LI, but as it was, in fact, Tali was just a walking codex entry on quarians in ME 1 (if a rather adorable one :P ), so, yeah, I just don't think Tali as she was in ME 1, when she (and her name...) were introduced would get so much effort on subtle clues.

As for creepy - hm. Well, in combination with the romance (so symbolism planned in ME 1 but romance not would actually make it non-creepy). So Shepard 'shepherds' the lamb to the relationship? That feels kinda wrong. Kinda like bride grooming.

Very true.

So, unintentional as it was, weird as it is, it would then be safe to say that coincidence would be the most acceptable answer. I mean we could break down the game itself and look for these points or subtle clues, but I think that would be another thread.

Her name actually fits in ME 1, being young and all, receiving aid by Shepard. A young lamb who needed help. Same goes for 2, when she needed help with data on Heastrom. Again, she was in danger and looked to the sheperd for that aid.

April 01, 2012, 08:50:58 PM
Reply #13

Offline Garrus

• Migrant Fleet Marine
    • TZFGarrus
    • Magyx
    • Vaccumdiagrams
Metaphors = Mind F**k

April 02, 2012, 12:26:24 AM
Reply #14

Offline Dr. Tran

• Administrator
  • Ship Captain
  • Zomg...
    • rdaruszka
    • darklordmyst
    • clickhereforlettuce.net
...eh, what?

She was actually originally planned as an LI, scrapped because people wouldn't go for it, and brought back because people insisted.
He once challenged his reflection to a staring contest... On the fourth day, he won.
Please read the Forum Rules before posting.
We have an IRC!  IRC Info
And a nice webchat!  Web IRC

:legionsnipe:

April 02, 2012, 12:44:38 AM
Reply #15

Offline Alastor_09

• Pilgrim
  • Tali! <3
    • henRy09
She was actually originally planned as an LI, scrapped because people wouldn't go for it, and brought back because people insisted.

I would assume so, but why do you think people didn't want to go for her? Her appearance?

April 07, 2012, 06:36:17 PM
Reply #16

Offline Tekkaman-James

• Full Quarian
  • TEK-SETTA!!
    • tekkaman-james
    • Diegus
    • My DeviantArt Site

I would assume so, but why do you think people didn't want to go for her? Her appearance?
BioWare thought that her and Garrus were "too alien" and that people wouldn't find them attractive enough to want to romance them.  Silly, BioWare.  ::)

April 07, 2012, 07:29:37 PM
Reply #17

Offline Garrus

• Migrant Fleet Marine
    • TZFGarrus
    • Magyx
    • Vaccumdiagrams
BioWare thought that her and Garrus were "too alien" and that people wouldn't find them attractive enough to want to romance them.  Silly, BioWare.  ::)

Hey the scars attract the ladies, dont you know?

April 07, 2012, 08:05:56 PM
Reply #18

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
You keep saying that, but I haven't seen any evidence for it. If there were plans I think they must have been rather far down the priorities list. Lower than making Kaidan and Ashley open as romance for both genders, for example, seeing as there is still voice content for that, at least.
The First Human Spectre

April 07, 2012, 09:47:25 PM
Reply #19

Offline Tekkaman-James

• Full Quarian
  • TEK-SETTA!!
    • tekkaman-james
    • Diegus
    • My DeviantArt Site
Hey the scars attract the ladies, dont you know?
In fact, I did know that!  When I first made my Shepard, I gave him scars (Sole Survivor; made sense to have them).  Leave it to Cerberus to take that away from him when they rebuilt him.  :dry:

April 07, 2012, 09:48:55 PM
Reply #20

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
It's the 22nd century. Sole Survivor or not, I'd think they'd have methods to quickly and painfully remove scars. If Shepard is vain enough, that is :D
The First Human Spectre

April 16, 2012, 10:30:55 AM
Reply #21

Offline Rear Admiral Kikaimegami

• リジョンマンセル
  • Machine Goddess
  • Ship Captain
  • dem head-flaps :wub:
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Home of the Machine Goddess
It's the 22nd century. Sole Survivor or not, I'd think they'd have methods to quickly and painfully remove scars. If Shepard is vain enough, that is :D
Well, Alexandra Shepard had her hair altered to grow in purple, so...
<Kikaimegami> technically every post I make is about Legion's ass!

This world is what we can give
Scarred from the way we lived
All those dreams we shared for you
How I wish they could come true
 :legionsnipe: :kikai:

We dreamed of a world in peace
But killed for a life of ease
Now we leave the wounds for you
What else can the dying do?

=^..^= (This) Forum Rules! =^..^= Legion Steam Community =^..^= My ME2 Projects =^..^=

April 16, 2012, 11:39:41 AM
Reply #22

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
...did I write "painfully"? -_-;; It should be clear to everybody but I meant "painlessly" of course ^^;;; Damn, embarrassing. Damn you, Freud...
The First Human Spectre

April 16, 2012, 11:48:24 AM
Reply #23

Offline Rear Admiral Kikaimegami

• リジョンマンセル
  • Machine Goddess
  • Ship Captain
  • dem head-flaps :wub:
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Home of the Machine Goddess
...did I write "painfully"? -_-;; It should be clear to everybody but I meant "painlessly" of course ^^;;; Damn, embarrassing. Damn you, Freud...
Holy shit, I read it as "painlessly" too. Granted, I'm currently rocking a monster sinus headache and haven't been able to sleep for a couple days, so...
<Kikaimegami> technically every post I make is about Legion's ass!

This world is what we can give
Scarred from the way we lived
All those dreams we shared for you
How I wish they could come true
 :legionsnipe: :kikai:

We dreamed of a world in peace
But killed for a life of ease
Now we leave the wounds for you
What else can the dying do?

=^..^= (This) Forum Rules! =^..^= Legion Steam Community =^..^= My ME2 Projects =^..^=

April 16, 2012, 09:14:55 PM
Reply #24

Offline Garrus

• Migrant Fleet Marine
    • TZFGarrus
    • Magyx
    • Vaccumdiagrams
Holy shit, I read it as "painlessly" too. Granted, I'm currently rocking a monster sinus headache and haven't been able to sleep for a couple days, so...

No way!

Me too  :pinch: