Author Topic: Tali and the Mass Effect Movie  (Read 13227 times)

May 10, 2012, 11:49:18 AM
Reply #25

Offline Noble_6

• Pilgrim
Tran is that Moses from South Park?
Garrus: Do you ever miss those talks we had on the elevators?

Tali: No.

Garrus: Come on. Remember how we’d always ask you about live on the Flotilla? It was an opportunity to share.

Tali: This conversation is over.

Garrus: Tell me again about your immune system.

Tali: I have a shotgun.

Garrus: Mmm, maybe we’ll talk later…

May 10, 2012, 01:07:50 PM
Reply #26

Offline Tekkaman-James

• Full Quarian
  • TEK-SETTA!!
    • tekkaman-james
    • Diegus
    • My DeviantArt Site
Garrus would be costly too, but because he is a more popular squadmate and has appeared in every game, I believe he will be in the movie.  Same with Tali.  She also has the benefit of being an actress in a costume instead of CGI like Garrus would presumably have to be, so cost wouldn't be an issue.

Hollywood's blind reliance on CGI these days makes arguing this point a bit more difficult than it should be.  However, if this studio knew better, they would make Garrus and Wrex as practical builds.  I mean, if this dude can do it, a movie studio should be able to do it as well.

Garrus Vakarian Mass Effect 2 Costume

May 10, 2012, 03:09:34 PM
Reply #27

Offline Seddo4494

• Full Quarian
    • seddo4494
    • Seddon4494?feature=mhee
That's awesome :D Also, this:

Mass Effect Costume - Tali (Bioware Costume Contest)
Time not spent with Tali is time wasted. ^-^

May 10, 2012, 04:47:07 PM
Reply #28

Offline Typhoon

• Pilgrim
Here's even more elaborate Garrus costume.

Garrus Vakarian Mass Effect 2 Cosplay

I agree that they could make the same thing for the movie. Sure, there are some practical issues that need to be solved, to be more precise: facial movements. Combination of practical costume and some CGI could solve that problem. Also take note that in all these costumes, the person who is wearing them has to stand on tip toes cause of the form of Turian feet. Sure, if you shoot a movie, the actor does not need to wear the costume shoes or even lower half of costume if you are going for closeup shot of the face or just a shot of the upper torso. Actions scenes would be all different ball game, it's then that the actor needs mobility which he can hardly gain if he is always walking on tip toes. However its nothing that can't be solved.

Humanity first!
Therefor,
it is in humanity's best interest to...
take lots of photos of a certain Quarian girl's butt.

May 10, 2012, 06:40:11 PM
Reply #29

Offline Tekkaman-James

• Full Quarian
  • TEK-SETTA!!
    • tekkaman-james
    • Diegus
    • My DeviantArt Site
Actions scenes would be all different ball game, it's then that the actor needs mobility which he can hardly gain if he is always walking on tip toes. However its nothing that can't be solved.
Not necessarily.  There are many different kinds of digitigrade "stilts/shoes" that have been designed over the years (predominantly for werewolf costuming) that could easily be used for the Turian, Quarian, and Krogan without losing any dexterity.  The stilts created for the lycans in the Underworld movies jumps immediately to mind as an example.

May 10, 2012, 08:27:37 PM
Reply #30

Offline Typhoon

• Pilgrim
Not necessarily.  There are many different kinds of digitigrade "stilts/shoes" that have been designed over the years (predominantly for werewolf costuming) that could easily be used for the Turian, Quarian, and Krogan without losing any dexterity.  The stilts created for the lycans in the Underworld movies jumps immediately to mind as an example.

I didn't know that. Great, that means another problem solved.
I just wish film producers would come to the same conclusion.

Humanity first!
Therefor,
it is in humanity's best interest to...
take lots of photos of a certain Quarian girl's butt.

May 10, 2012, 08:54:10 PM
Reply #31

Offline Fenix

• Pilgrim
    • sealance
    • fenixwylde
I personally think that Yoda in the new trilogy is a good example of over-doing things with cgi.
When you wish upon a star
think of Rannoch where you are
in your heart and in your soul
or you would not be as whole

May 10, 2012, 10:31:36 PM
Reply #32

Offline Tekkaman-James

• Full Quarian
  • TEK-SETTA!!
    • tekkaman-james
    • Diegus
    • My DeviantArt Site
I personally think that Yoda in the new trilogy is a good example of over-doing things with cgi.

Amen, sir.  Case in point:

May 10, 2012, 10:32:42 PM
Reply #33

Offline OwnedU2Fast

• Pilgrim
  • Tali is the best female VG character of all-time!
    • OwnedU2Fast
    • OwnedU2Fast
Amen, sir.  Case in point:

Wow, that is just dreadful.
Humans are a blight on galatic purity! -Mad Batarian Prophet

May 27, 2012, 01:42:10 AM
Reply #34

Offline ajsyav

• Adolescent Quarian
    • ajsyav
    • HoratioCrunch
Cue return to topic...
Who would play Tali in this movie? Does her voice actor in the games have acting talent? Or would a new actress be used?

June 08, 2012, 07:32:38 PM
Reply #35

Offline Moth

• Full Quarian
  • Holder of a Shadowland beyond your Comprehension
    • Ownix96
    • olihaunt
Can't believe they're making the movie a direct derivative of the game. Pisses me off. The only way it could possibly be deliberately 'good' is if they focused on something else, different characters, maybe a different galactic crisis, the only thing that really comes to mind would the Relay 314 incident, which would probably make a good basis for the movie in the first place. I really hope they don't fuck it up further though.

"Søgen efter viden sendte mig bort fra mit folk; nu har opdagelsen af visdom bragt mig tilbage." - Lemm'Shal

June 14, 2012, 01:54:15 PM
Reply #36

Offline Isbjorn

• Full Quarian
  • Shepard never gave up - Neither should you.
    • ElvenArcher3000
Cue return to topic...
Who would play Tali in this movie? Does her voice actor in the games have acting talent? Or would a new actress be used?

To be honest I don't really care who plays her, as we shouldn't really get to see her face. Only thing she needs is a fitting voice.
I'm Commander Shepard, and Tali'Zorah is my favourite girl in the galaxy.

My FF, with the goal of bringing life back to the ME universe after the events of ME3 (on hold to see what EC brings):
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8020613/1/Mass_Effect_Resurrection

June 14, 2012, 04:15:01 PM
Reply #37

Offline mikethor007

• Conclave Representative
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
To be honest I don't really care who plays her, as we shouldn't really get to see her face. Only thing she needs is a fitting voice.
And a good CGI treatment. Or a VERY good costume. It's very easy to see when a costume is the cheapo kind. It starts looking like a cosplay costume.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

June 14, 2012, 05:47:58 PM
Reply #38

Offline OwnedU2Fast

• Pilgrim
  • Tali is the best female VG character of all-time!
    • OwnedU2Fast
    • OwnedU2Fast
Assuming that "Paragon Lost" is the same movie, it's anime.
Humans are a blight on galatic purity! -Mad Batarian Prophet

June 24, 2012, 04:14:10 PM
Reply #39

Offline Tekkaman-James

• Full Quarian
  • TEK-SETTA!!
    • tekkaman-james
    • Diegus
    • My DeviantArt Site
Assuming that "Paragon Lost" is the same movie, it's anime.
As I said in the thread for the anime, it isn't the same movie.  Just thought I should clarify that in both places just in case.

As for what Moth said, I totally agree (and I think I already said that on here, too...hmm).  If they filmmakers were smart, they would have adapted the first novel.  It's a great primer to the ME universe and a great story about Anderson and Saren that would perfectly set up a movie-goer who decided to try the games after that.  I mean, how awesome would it be for a movie-goer to see the film and then pick up a five year old game and have it mentioning stuff that happened in the movie they just saw?!?

Alas, instead we will get a movie about some random John Shepard doing random stuff that only 5% of ME players will be able to relate to.  The rest of us will just be sitting there shaking our heads at how Shepard would never do this or that.

More on-topic, if they chose to make Tali out of CGI, then this movie fails before it starts.  There is no reason to make a character that is completely covered using CG animation.  I could see them pulling that junk with Garrus or Wrex, but doing it for Tali wouldn't even be lazy, it would just be stupid.  Also, chances are that whoever is playing Tali in the suit will not be the person who provides the voice.  Logic dictates that this means they will cast Ash Sroka as the voice of Tali, but Hollywood doesn't do many logical things, so it will probably be someone more "bankable".

June 24, 2012, 04:53:55 PM
Reply #40

Offline Leighton

• Podling
    • leightonransome
Definitely Tali. I mean, how could you not have a Quarian? They would have to emphasize the alien races. And I mean, all they need to do is make a suit with lights, the Krogan might be hard and so would legion. But, I guess we'll all find out soon enough!

June 26, 2012, 01:02:16 AM
Reply #41

Offline Tekkaman-James

• Full Quarian
  • TEK-SETTA!!
    • tekkaman-james
    • Diegus
    • My DeviantArt Site
Definitely Tali. I mean, how could you not have a Quarian? They would have to emphasize the alien races. And I mean, all they need to do is make a suit with lights, the Krogan might be hard and so would legion. But, I guess we'll all find out soon enough!
I think "soon enough" won't be as soon as you think/hope.  This project has been in development Hell for over a year and could very well go the way of the Halo movie; i.e. - nowhere.  Just because a studio acquires the rights to something doesn't mean that they always end up doing anything with it.  Honestly, seeing the kind of backlash that BioWare/EA has received between ME: Deception and the ending to ME3, I wouldn't be surprised if that scares them bad enough to just forget about it.

Even if this movie does end up getting made, it's not going to be made for any of us; it's going to be made for the common movie-going public.  It will be full of "artistic changes" in order to make it more appealing to a mass audience.  Besides, if you really want to see the story of Shepard, just play the games.  It's going to be a lot more rewarding (current ending notwithstanding) than anything that Hollywood will cook up.

June 26, 2012, 02:10:06 AM
Reply #42

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
This project has been in development Hell for over a year and could very well go the way of the Halo movie; i.e. - nowhere.
One can hope. Not that I have anything against the idea of a ME movie. But better no movie than a movie trying to retell ME 1...
The First Human Spectre

My fanfiction. ME 1 with Shepard/Tali Romance. Currently over 300,000 words.

June 28, 2012, 03:09:31 AM
Reply #43

Offline ajsyav

• Adolescent Quarian
    • ajsyav
    • HoratioCrunch
If an ME1 movie was made, it would have to avoid all of the side quests in the interest of time. So much great stuff would be left out! Only the main plot missions would be covered and those would have to be covered fairly quickly. Only the plot missions in ME1 is about 11 hours of gameplay. For a film, plenty of action would need to be left in and some sections of dialogue which would reduce character development all around. More likely, the film would focus on the well known and active characters in that game. I don't think that would include Tali. I don't know how many ME fans are Tali fans but I don't think there are enough to warrant a focus on Tali by the filmmaker (as previously discussed).
A movie that simply takes place in the ME universe, say a prequel to ME1, would probably work far better.
But after The Ending Controversy and the band-aid-on-a-bone-fracture-that-is-the-Extended-Cuts-DLC and EA being voted "The Worst Company in America", I highly doubt any outside independent company will touch the ME franchise for a while.
That's a good point. Tali shouldn't be a CGI character. (Unless Andy Serkis did her movements. That man is a god. JK!) It would make her less real to us. And seeing a professionaly made Tali costume would be amazing!
DO we even know if this movie would be Live Action? I doubt the funding is available for a mix like The Lord of the Rings movies were. I have a feeling the whole movie would be CGI... so it would be like watching the game except you're not controlling it... Wait, don't do that! DOn't do a CGI movie! Just render some characters as CGI if need be. That's it.

June 28, 2012, 03:50:54 AM
Reply #44

Offline mikethor007

• Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
And seeing a professionaly made Tali costume would be amazing!
A professionally made costume...yeah. At least one with a good budget.

Sadly, I think you're quite correct. Screen time would be so much shorter that it might be possible for Feros, Noveria AND Virmire to be completely skipped. That would leave a scene in Eden Prime, a bit on the citadel to properly set up the search . Ilos alone and the space fight + Saren could take half an hour...

Or they could be especially evil and set up the WHOLE thing inside the Citadel. Ouch.
Toaster

June 28, 2012, 04:17:18 AM
Reply #45

Offline ajsyav

• Adolescent Quarian
    • ajsyav
    • HoratioCrunch
snip*

Or they could be especially evil and set up the WHOLE thing inside the Citadel. Ouch.

...Kill it with Fire! That would never get funded. I guess the first game could be released as two movies so that characters (Tali!) and missions could be fleshed out properly?

June 28, 2012, 04:32:27 AM
Reply #46

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Because video game movies have such a long history of caring about that?

Besides, I'd even prefer that. Instead of the movie shitting on all missions (and hence, all the decisions to be made there).
The First Human Spectre

June 29, 2012, 07:13:29 AM
Reply #47

Offline ajsyav

• Adolescent Quarian
    • ajsyav
    • HoratioCrunch
Because video game movies have such a long history of caring about that?
Besides, I'd even prefer that. Instead of the movie shitting on all missions (and hence, all the decisions to be made there).

Humph. True.
Perhaps a small scale production, such as the format of the Halo Legends episodes, might be a good option? Each mission is an episode and it is an ongoing series.
A prequel seems the least risky. But a prequel wouldn't have Tali in it.
Besides, for most film producers, Tali is the least personable character because she always wears a mask. That's the same reason that they were considering not having Master Chief as the main character in the Halo movie. People would have to pay more attention to her words than her looks. I doubt she would be a main character.

June 29, 2012, 01:02:51 PM
Reply #48

Offline mikethor007

• Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
Humph. True.
Perhaps a small scale production, such as the format of the Halo Legends episodes, might be a good option? Each mission is an episode and it is an ongoing series.
A prequel seems the least risky. But a prequel wouldn't have Tali in it.
Besides, for most film producers, Tali is the least personable character because she always wears a mask. That's the same reason that they were considering not having Master Chief as the main character in the Halo movie. People would have to pay more attention to her words than her looks. I doubt she would be a main character.
I still think that they'd likely focus on human characters, like Ash and Kaidan, to keep the budget down. Cuts back on expensive CGI/makeup/costumes. Alien squaddies would likely have small parts, unless they were going for wow factor.
Toaster

June 29, 2012, 01:12:11 PM
Reply #49

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
Which, really, is how ME 1 was, too. The most complex conversations were with Ashley and Kaidan. The aliens were even often just walking codex entries about their races - especially of course Tali. Now, ME 1 still made it work. If a movie could, I don't know...
The First Human Spectre