Author Topic: Tali in the new DLC (some spoilers)  (Read 14650 times)

March 12, 2013, 07:44:13 AM
Reply #75

Offline Mental Surge

• Full Quarian
Hm, one thing while we're at it:Thing is... well, take the romances. Like the Tali romance. Why still find it important? Why does it still matter if it isn't really Shepard on the other side of the romance, so to speak? That's my problem, even with all the cutscenes people say were so well-written... doesn't matter to me if there's no player input. It isn't a Tali/Shepard romance if it isn't Shepard.
Ummm I dont see it like that at all. It IS Shepard. He just doesnt have much a personality. And Im not in it for shepard, Im in it for the other characters that actually have personalities. Shepard may be a BAD character but hes still a character. And even though a lot of shit got railroaded, I still felt like I was playing the character.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:46:17 AM by Mental Surge »

March 12, 2013, 01:43:04 PM
Reply #76

Offline obsolete

• Full Quarian
  • Don't stop me now, cause I'm having a good time
    • obsoletebossk
well if thats the case then shepard was also out of character then too.

edit: according to obsolete

Well, yea, he was.  And it pissed me off there as well, though not to this extent.

March 12, 2013, 05:27:59 PM
Reply #77

Offline Mental Surge

• Full Quarian
Well, yea, he was.  And it pissed me off there as well, though not to this extent.
omg.

March 12, 2013, 10:03:20 PM
Reply #78

Offline obsolete

• Full Quarian
    • obsoletebossk

March 12, 2013, 11:15:55 PM
Reply #79

Offline Mental Surge

• Full Quarian
...? Care to elaborate?
shepard is no more out of character here than in ME2. Even then he was barely really out of character. I mean personality wise shepard doesnt have much to him anyway, especially as far as ME1 is concerned, so Its kinda odd to say this is out of character.

March 13, 2013, 01:17:32 AM
Reply #80

Offline SenHai

• !random
  • Ship Captain
  • The Site. Its Dead Jim.
    • http://senhai.deviantart.com/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/SenHai?feature=mhum
I don't see how its not out of Character. It doesn't make sense.

It was a Fanservice DLC. Nothing more. Taking more inspiration from Fanfiction than anything else. As the Review I read, it would have made more sense as post-game content, not something that happens in the middle, but the three endings made sure that doesn't happen.

I have no doubt its good I watched some of it, and its funny as hell. Funny is the word though, its not much else.

March 13, 2013, 04:20:10 AM
Reply #81

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
shepard is no more out of character here than in ME2. Even then he was barely really out of character. I mean personality wise shepard doesnt have much to him anyway, especially as far as ME1 is concerned, so Its kinda odd to say this is out of character.

Yes he/she does. More so than in ME 2 and 3, in fact. Way more so. It's just that it's player defined. Depending on what answers you choose in conversations, or what choices you make on missions and assignments, you'll get some very good image of what the character and attitude of your Shepard must be like. And now, if that is taken away from the player, when hence Shepard's personality is not definable anymore, then yes, you can say Shepard is acting out of characzer. Out of character for the personality the player setled on for him/her. 
The First Human Spectre

My fanfiction. ME 1 with Shepard/Tali Romance. Currently over 300,000 words.

March 13, 2013, 05:50:55 PM
Reply #82

Offline Mental Surge

• Full Quarian
Yes he/she does. More so than in ME 2 and 3, in fact. Way more so. It's just that it's player defined. Depending on what answers you choose in conversations, or what choices you make on missions and assignments, you'll get some very good image of what the character and attitude of your Shepard must be like. And now, if that is taken away from the player, when hence Shepard's personality is not definable anymore, then yes, you can say Shepard is acting out of characzer. Out of character for the personality the player setled on for him/her.
well thats completely opinionated. When I played ME1, to me Shepard didnt really have any kind of a personality. This also has nothing to do with the dlc. this is just a generic problem you have with ME2 and ME3. Again thats just an opinion as well as the idea that it takes away from the tali romance or the player relation to the character they made. What personality I DID try to give shepard didnt seem to be affected any more by shepard saying things I never intended in ME2/3 than in ME1. I dont believe supporting or not supporting the dlc will have any effect on player character personalization either. This DLC actually does a better job of it than any other ME DLC IMO. So it seems like you were just going to bash the dlc regardless, unless Bioware completely redesigned the way shepard interacts with everything for this dlc. which would ahve been nice, but it did not ruin the dlc for me. Why i like this dlc is because it is about the OTHER characters. That comes down to prioritizing. Other players who arent completely distracted by the stronger focus on shepards railroading personality in ME2/ME3 and can get past it, SHOULD check out this dlc for the OTHER characters.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:19:51 PM by Mental Surge »

March 13, 2013, 05:51:52 PM
Reply #83

Offline Mental Surge

• Full Quarian
I don't see how its not out of Character. It doesn't make sense.

It was a Fanservice DLC. Nothing more. Taking more inspiration from Fanfiction than anything else. As the Review I read, it would have made more sense as post-game content, not something that happens in the middle, but the three endings made sure that doesn't happen.

I have no doubt its good I watched some of it, and its funny as hell. Funny is the word though, its not much else.
how is it anymore out of character than ME2? Whats really funny is that most of the people bashing it are the ones who havent played it.

March 13, 2013, 08:20:33 PM
Reply #84

Offline Octo

• Migrant Fleet Marine
well thats completely opinionated. When I played ME1, to me Shepard didnt really have any kind of a personality.
No, that's not it. He/she has no pre-defined personality. That's it. There's a great difference. He/she's the player character, it's up to you to fill him/her with personality, and the game gives ample possibility to do just that. And that's great, that's how it should be. I don't want a pre-defined personality for Shepard! But that's exactly what happened in ME 3. I mean, ME 2, for all its railroading of action, still allowed for some personality choices. But in ME 3, Bioware basically abducts Shepard; it's not your Shepard anymore, it's Bioware's Shepard. Given that, one can say Shepard acts out of character in ME 3. Because he/she really IS another character: Bioware's Shepard.

This also has nothing to do with the dlc. this is just a generic problem you have with ME2 and ME3.
Yeah, but you can't say it's unrelated to the DLC if the DLC continues that problem! As I've said, I'm not going to buy or play anything from Bioware again until they fix that problem. Which they seem unlikely to do even in the near future.

Whats really funny is that most of the people bashing it are the ones who havent played it.
Well, uh, obviously? In the age of Youtube and online media it's pretty easy to find out if a game or DLC is likely to appeal to you or not. And if it doesn't look that way, why should people buy it, or even only spend time playing it? So of course the people "bashing" it will also be the people not playing it. Seems fairly logical to me.
The First Human Spectre

My fanfiction. ME 1 with Shepard/Tali Romance. Currently over 300,000 words.

March 14, 2013, 12:32:35 AM
Reply #85

Offline Rear Admiral Kikaimegami

• リジョンマンセル
  • Machine Goddess
  • Ship Captain
  • dem head-flaps :wub:
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Home of the Machine Goddess
Okay, seriously, either start a new thread in the general section about Shepard's characterization in the new DLC, or get back on topic about Tali in it. Don't make me split your off-topic posts. I hate doing that.

EDIT: Especially because every time I go back to try and figure out where things went wrong in this thread, my eye just constantly slips off the page rather than read all this.. whatever it is.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:34:54 AM by Rear Admiral Kikaimegami »
<Kikaimegami> technically every post I make is about Legion's ass!

This world is what we can give
Scarred from the way we lived
All those dreams we shared for you
How I wish they could come true
 :legionsnipe: :kikai:

We dreamed of a world in peace
But killed for a life of ease
Now we leave the wounds for you
What else can the dying do?

=^..^= (This) Forum Rules! =^..^= Legion Steam Community =^..^= My ME2 Projects =^..^=

March 14, 2013, 05:21:57 AM
Reply #86

Offline SenHai

• !random
  • Ship Captain
  • The Site. Its Dead Jim.
    • http://senhai.deviantart.com/
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/SenHai?feature=mhum
Okay, seriously, either start a new thread in the general section about Shepard's characterization in the new DLC, or get back on topic about Tali in it. Don't make me split your off-topic posts. I hate doing that.

EDIT: Especially because every time I go back to try and figure out where things went wrong in this thread, my eye just constantly slips off the page rather than read all this.. whatever it is.

In spirit of the Topic.

Tali's singing was god awful. Appreciated....but terrible. Also her choice of Movies seems pretty cheesy.

March 14, 2013, 01:52:51 PM
Reply #87

Offline obsolete

• Full Quarian
    • obsoletebossk
In spirit of the Topic.

Tali's singing was god awful. Appreciated....but terrible. Also her choice of Movies seems pretty cheesy.

I cringed.  Then I cringed again.  Then I cringed so hard I think I burst a blood vessel.

March 14, 2013, 03:55:33 PM
Reply #88

• リジョンマンセル
  • Machine Goddess
  • Ship Captain
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
Aww, cheesy movies aren't always bad. I mean, sometimes you can just enjoy them for their being horribly cheesy. Nothing wrong with that. Note that I haven't had a chance to play the DLC (no money), so I don't know if you could just assume that's why she likes cheesy movies or not. Hell, even if they don't leave room for that, I tend to have my own headcanons about a lot of the stuff in the series that pisses me off so I can accept it easier by making it mean something else.

Yeah, I'm weird.

And Tali liking cheesy movies because she likes being entertained by inanity just seems so right to me.

EDIT: Note that I am neither forming nor expressing an opinion on the DLC itself, especially because I haven't played it. By the time I get a chance to try it, I'll probably already know everything that's going to happen anyway, though.

I do have one opinion on it: Some of the animated gifs I've seen people make from it are fucking hilarious.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:58:26 PM by Rear Admiral Kikaimegami »

=^..^= (This) Forum Rules! =^..^= Legion Steam Community =^..^= My ME2 Projects =^..^=

March 14, 2013, 04:15:45 PM
Reply #89

• リジョンマンセル
  • Machine Goddess
  • Ship Captain
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
AND ON THAT NOTE

Clicking on any of these images takes you to where I found them.

March 14, 2013, 04:39:19 PM
Reply #90

Offline obsolete

• Full Quarian
    • obsoletebossk
AND ON THAT NOTE

Clicking on any of these images takes you to where I found them.

Airplane Tali is going in my gif folder.

March 15, 2013, 04:02:43 PM
Reply #91

Offline mikethor007

• Conclave Representative
  • Norse God of Thunder
    • mikethor007
I cringed.  Then I cringed again.  Then I cringed so hard I think I burst a blood vessel.
I almost cracked a tooth cringing.
"A toaster is just a death ray with a smaller power supply!"
Toaster

March 25, 2013, 07:14:07 AM
Reply #92

Offline Mental Surge

• Full Quarian
No, that's not it. He/she has no pre-defined personality. That's it. There's a great difference. He/she's the player character, it's up to you to fill him/her with personality, and the game gives ample possibility to do just that. And that's great, that's how it should be. I don't want a pre-defined personality for Shepard! But that's exactly what happened in ME 3. I mean, ME 2, for all its railroading of action, still allowed for some personality choices. But in ME 3, Bioware basically abducts Shepard; it's not your Shepard anymore, it's Bioware's Shepard. Given that, one can say Shepard acts out of character in ME 3. Because he/she really IS another character: Bioware's Shepard.
Yeah, but you can't say it's unrelated to the DLC if the DLC continues that problem! As I've said, I'm not going to buy or play anything from Bioware again until they fix that problem. Which they seem unlikely to do even in the near future.
Well, uh, obviously? In the age of Youtube and online media it's pretty easy to find out if a game or DLC is likely to appeal to you or not. And if it doesn't look that way, why should people buy it, or even only spend time playing it? So of course the people "bashing" it will also be the people not playing it. Seems fairly logical to me.
Oh my god. Thank fuck I just dont care enough to respond to this stupid argument anymore because it was bound to never stop.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:16:56 AM by Mental Surge »

March 25, 2013, 10:17:58 PM
Reply #93

Offline obsolete

• Full Quarian
    • obsoletebossk
Oh my god. Thank fuck I just dont care enough to respond to this stupid argument anymore because it was bound to never stop.
"Don't care enough to respond"
Responds with insults....
*facepalm*

March 26, 2013, 02:46:10 AM
Reply #94

Offline Mental Surge

• Full Quarian
"Don't care enough to respond"
Responds with insults....
*facepalm*
1. I didnt continue the argument did I?
2. I was talking about the stupidity of the argument as a whole
3. You like the ending. facepalm* AND think the green ending is well written. MOREFACEPALM*

March 26, 2013, 03:51:31 AM
Reply #95

Offline obsolete

• Full Quarian
    • obsoletebossk
1. I didnt continue the argument did I?
2. I was talking about the stupidity of the argument as a whole
3. You like the ending. facepalm* AND think the green ending is well written. MOREFACEPALM*

Lets look back throughout this thread.  Lets count how many times you have resorted to petty insults.  Its disturbingly high.  Could you kindly discuss what is in the damn title instead of wasting time hurling insults?  Its really rather pointless.

March 26, 2013, 04:03:48 AM
Reply #96

Offline Mental Surge

• Full Quarian
Lets look back throughout this thread.  Lets count how many times you have resorted to petty insults.  Its disturbingly high.  Could you kindly discuss what is in the damn title instead of wasting time hurling insults?  Its really rather pointless.
What the hell are you talking about? I was stating that I no longer care about that argument. Who cares what I did before when I did care about it? And I wasnt even talking to you. wtf?

Bro, go back to supporting the green ending.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 04:05:38 AM by Mental Surge »

March 26, 2013, 04:14:08 AM
Reply #97

Offline Mental Surge

• Full Quarian
Perhaps you failed to read the word ANYMORE. You see Green Ending Supporter, it implies that I did care, but no longer do.

March 26, 2013, 06:03:05 AM
Reply #98

• リジョンマンセル
  • Machine Goddess
  • Ship Captain
    • kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
    • Kikaimegami
STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

EDIT: Warnings have been issued because you assholes just CAN'T FUCKING LEAVE IT BE!

The next time this happens, temporary bans are being handed out right away because we clearly can't have nice things.

Thread is staying locked. If someone wants to start a new one AND NOT HAVE IT DEVOLVE INTO A SHITFEST, you're welcome to try.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:09:03 AM by Rear Admiral Kikaimegami »